Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2hi, spinning tires on dry uphill

Old 12-13-2013, 01:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Surf City Dan
Sounds like black ice. Anytime the tires slip you can use 4hi even on asphalt. Especially if you are driving straight. If you feel the Jeep start to bind, especially while turning you will want to put it back in 2wd. Yes, you are supposed to use 4hi and 4lo only when the tires can slip, Dirt roads, snow, rocks etc. Those surfaces is what keeps the drivetrain from binding in 4 wheel drive modes.
Thanks, I think same too. Another forum strongly suggesting to under-pressure my Duratrac's below 30psi. I don't think this will help me on mpg and highways/higher speeds. I keep Jeep suggested pressure on sticker, besides winter is suggested time for higher pressure a bit.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:21 AM
JK Freak

I would say it is the tires. My BFG MT will do it also if I am really on it, but my lights are on all the time. I have the switch wired in to let her spin.
I do have the tire pressure down to 32 psi, so it doesn't do it as much. I turned off the TPMS, and removed that door sticker.
I will most likely get better tires when I change them. I am thinking Cooper SST MT. I have had Coopers on my XJ, and they work well on the street. They work well aired down off road.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Breitling
Thanks, I think same too. Another forum strongly suggesting to under-pressure my Duratrac's below 30psi. I don't think this will help me on mpg and highways/higher speeds. I keep Jeep suggested pressure on sticker, besides winter is suggested time for higher pressure a bit.
that doesnt seem logical to me higher preassure = less contact with the road
Old 12-13-2013, 04:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed that makes no sense unless your accounting for psi drop due to cold weather..
Old 12-13-2013, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

There could have been oil on the road. That will cause ur tire to spin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2013, 06:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pressure

it takes a volume of air to support a vehicle, not a pressure.

If you are using larger tires than stock, they will need less pressure to support the weight, as they encompass more air volume.

your tire wear will indicate if you are running the proper pressure.

If it's always in the same spot, why not pull over and check out the road surface in more detail?

Quick Reply: 2hi, spinning tires on dry uphill