Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2hi, spinning tires on dry uphill

Old 12-12-2013, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2hi, spinning tires on dry uphill

Question,

What would you do if you are driving uphill road and it is not icy or snow but 2hi spinning tires on JKU a bit? Jeep moves but I could feel that rear is spinning, also this slippery warning on dash starts flashing for sec or two.

However road is dry and not enough for 4hi since it is dry and it is prohibited of using 4x4 on dry road and also with some turns. Should I use 4hi anyway? Happened twice today on same road, it is also cold but no ice or snow.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2013, 04:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Breitling
Question,

What would you do if you are driving uphill road and it is not icy or snow but 2hi spinning tires on JKU a bit? Jeep moves but I could feel that rear is spinning, also this slippery warning on dash starts flashing for sec or two.

However road is dry and not enough for 4hi since it is dry and it is prohibited of using 4x4 on dry road and also with some turns. Should I use 4hi anyway? Happened twice today on same road, it is also cold but no ice or snow.

Thanks!
id still throw it in 4 hi if it was truly slipping.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

X2 on 4Hi, use what the Jeep has to offer!
Old 12-12-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

That wasn't a warning. That was the message telling you that your traction control was kicking in.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

something is messed up, you should not be spinning on dry road unless you are going up a vertical grade. You sure the road is not icy? a dry road should induce no wheel spin under normal circumstances.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
something is messed up, you should not be spinning on dry road unless you are going up a vertical grade. You sure the road is not icy? a dry road should induce no wheel spin under normal circumstances.
Can happen if tire go over something smooth and metal such as manhole cover.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:13 PM
JK Junkie

If the tire slips (and the computer senses a slip) then it can/ will activate the traction control. I've "slipped" a tire at many stoplights. Also little patches of gravel can cause similar issues......or dirt from the tractors.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2013, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlkBetty12
X2 on 4Hi, use what the Jeep has to offer!
I think this is right, just some worry about using it.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4hi shouldn't hurt it. People use 4lo on rocks at full steer goin up crazy angles. 4hi just basic driving for a bit shouldnt cause the jeep to explode.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like black ice. Anytime the tires slip you can use 4hi even on asphalt. Especially if you are driving straight. If you feel the Jeep start to bind, especially while turning you will want to put it back in 2wd. Yes, you are supposed to use 4hi and 4lo only when the tires can slip, Dirt roads, snow, rocks etc. Those surfaces is what keeps the drivetrain from binding in 4 wheel drive modes.

Quick Reply: 2hi, spinning tires on dry uphill