Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4wheel drive fluid?

Old 02-24-2008, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wheel drive fluid?

I was at the dealer for my 12k maintenance and she told me that I needed a 4wheel drive fluid change for $200. I said no as $200 fluid change sounded steep to me. Later I looked in the maintenance schedule and found no such service for any 4wheel drive fluid.

here are my questions:

Is there such a fluid? and would it really cost $200?
Old 02-24-2008, 06:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, but it should only be installed after the trail ride. It should only cost $200 if it's a very rare single malt.

Seriously, could he be talking about transfer case or differential lube?
Old 02-24-2008, 06:57 AM
JK Junkie

I know the dealer wanted to do that to my Dodge ram. It was like 250ish. It included the transfer case and both diffs. I passed and did it myself.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

$200 is way too much to change any fluid. Hell, pay me $200, and I'll change all your fluids, then I'll go buy myself something nice. And no, there is no such thing as 4WD fluid. They don't think your a blonde woman do they?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4Wheel drive in a can. Just poor it in any two wheel drive vehicle, and ''ta..da'' you have 4wd
Old 02-24-2008, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by badron5
I was at the dealer for my 12k maintenance and she told me that I needed a 4wheel drive fluid change for $200. I said no as $200 fluid change sounded steep to me. Later I looked in the maintenance schedule and found no such service for any 4wheel drive fluid.

here are my questions:

Is there such a fluid? and would it really cost $200?
I also do my own fluid changes. Just because I have the room. It's not hard and it can save you alot of money. I have also done it for several elderly jeepers in our club because its easier for me to get up and down. Now back to the point. There is an additive that you must add per the warranty to your diff's if you have Trac-Lok. If you look at your window sticker it will tell you if you have Trak-Lok. Basically it's the limited slip they put into JK's. Almost all Sahara's have it and it's an option on X's but I don't think Rubicon's have it because they have lockers. Now if you use a premium synthetic diff fluid, like Royal Purple, Mobil one or Valvoline Syn' then the additive is already in it. Now here's the kicker. To satisfy the warranty requirements you better be adding that additive. No matter if the additive is already in it. Because if you have a problem and you can't prove that the dealer did all the services or by documentation that you did the service and bought all the right stuff then they can deny your claim on the basis of improper maintenance. All dealers go by the "B" schedule of maintenance for Jeeps. At 15,000 your are required to change the diff fluid. So I think they were trying to get you to do it early.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:40 AM
JK Jedi

A big part of that $200 price tag is the labor (think my dealer charges around $95/hr). Yes you should have all fluids changed per the recommended interval (I think it's 15K for the diffs, not sure on the transfer case off the top of my head). You can do it yourself and save a ton of money, it's not difficult.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:44 AM
JK Junkie

Always read the labels though. I had some older Mobil 1 laying around and it didn't come with the limited slip additive in it.

I've known some guys to drink 4wd in a can and they thought they had instant 4wd. The local towing company loved those guys.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:45 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
A big part of that $200 price tag is the labor (think my dealer charges around $95/hr). Yes you should have all fluids changed per the recommended interval (I think it's 15K for the diffs, not sure on the transfer case off the top of my head). You can do it yourself and save a ton of money, it's not difficult.
Auto tranny kind of sucks though.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by seer1
Always read the labels though. I had some older Mobil 1 laying around and it didn't come with the limited slip additive in it.

I've known some guys to drink 4wd in a can and they thought they had instant 4wd. The local towing company loved those guys.

Good point.........I think.

Quick Reply: 4wheel drive fluid?