Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4x4 Driveline Service

Old 06-12-2008, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 Driveline Service

My local stealership is suggesting that I allow them to perform a 4x4 Driveline Service when my Sahara hits 15k which will be in a few months. Since I know nothing, I would like to ask the help of you experts out there on the following 2 questions.

1) Is this really necessary? I should mention that I don't really do any off-roading.

and B) If necessary, should it really cost the $399 I was quoted?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-12-2008, 06:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be helpful if you asked them what a driveline service exactly entailed. If its just making sure theres lube on your driveshaft, then no. Get some details from them on what the service includes, and it might be easier to answer your question.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Do we have a Stickied thread for the maintenance schedules on our JKs? I'm talking from the simplest things like oil every 3k miles, 15k mile check up, etc, etc. I'm sure it's in my owners manual, but I consult this page for everything else jeep related, figured someplace there's got to me a service schedule.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Diffs at 15,000 is a REALLY good idea. Maunal trans i think is at 30,000 and auto i have not a clue but with the problems many others are having i would have them check it.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by run43v3r
My local stealership is suggesting that I allow them to perform a 4x4 Driveline Service when my Sahara hits 15k which will be in a few months. Since I know nothing, I would like to ask the help of you experts out there on the following 2 questions.

1) Is this really necessary? I should mention that I don't really do any off-roading.

and B) If necessary, should it really cost the $399 I was quoted?

Thanks in advance
Check your owners manual...I think on the wrangler it is recomended that you change the differential fluid for normal driving conditions at 30,000 or 36,000 miles and they reco changing it at 15,000 under extreme driving conditions which they define as off road driving, or desert/extreme high heat driving.

Most dealers will tell you that it has to be done at 15k because they can get away with telling you that....I brought my wifes 2007 Grand Cherokee Laredo in for service about 6 weeks ago. She NEEDED an oil change and tire rotation. Also I pointed out an oil leak that concerned me, and there was a clicking noise in the steering to fix which had a TSB.

So basically the only thing I should have been paying for was the oil and tire rotation which they had a special for $19.95.

The STEALERSHIP insisted that I have the differential service done stating it was past due (vehicle had 16,800 miles) and should have been done at 15k. They wanted to charge me $409 for the service. I told him I would do it myself and that I just wanted the oil changed tires rotated and warranty problems fixed.

Later I went home and checked the owners manual which read something like 15 under extreme and like 30-36k normal for diff service. My wife drives her Jeep to and from work and the mall...I don't think it has even seen snow in the year and a half we have had it...No reason for diff service on her Jeep.

A day later the dealer called me with an update on her Jeep they fixed this that and the other thing blah blah blah...Then tried to push the diff service on me again...I told him I read the owners manual and that since it has never been off road there was clearly no need...he didn't push it from there...Then he said that the throttle body was in desperate need of a good cleaning and that my fuel system was clogged...but that he could service both fuel system and throttle body for a mere $240. lol I said no thank you...if my fuel system is clogged it is a design flaw since it is basically a sealed system and that if it were really clogged that I would have had to have it towed in and not driven in for service and that on a regular basis (every 3 months) I put fuel injection cleaner in the tank and that I have already cleaned the throttle body.

Long story short...dealerships are struggling and since most people don't know shit about cars...they can easily take advantage of you and reco unecessary overpriced repairs, maintenance by using the simple scare tactic of well if you don't keep up with your maint. then you may not be covered under warranty if something were to break .

If you don't go offroad...no reason to service the diffs till 36k.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

stealership here wants just over $400 (209 per axel) to do service to both axels alone, and another 199 for the rest of the 15k service. Went to a drive in oil place, and paid 175 for both difs, transfer case, and oil change... usually i like going to the dealership for work, but 600 was too steep for me.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

I'm going back there today to take my wife's car in service. I'll ask them to detail what the service involves. I'll take a peek at the service manual and see what tit says too. Thanks for the great/fast feedback.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Driveline Service