Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

6 speed & Electronic throttle

Old 05-24-2008, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6 speed & Electronic throttle

I just picked up a 2008 2 door rubicon with a 6 speed. I've driven manuals all my life and currently drive a Honda S2000 daily.

Taking off from a light I've stalled the wrangler about 5 or 6 times in the 2 days I've had it. To put this into perspective I've not stalled any other of my manual transmissioned vehicles once in the last 13 years! It's almost like the throttle tip-in is not consistent or something. There is definately a "dead zone" for the first little bit of the accellerator travel.

Am I the only one who had a tough time getting accustomed to the fly-by-wire throttle?
Old 05-24-2008, 09:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc_D
I just picked up a 2008 2 door rubicon with a 6 speed. I've driven manuals all my life and currently drive a Honda S2000 daily.

Taking off from a light I've stalled the wrangler about 5 or 6 times in the 2 days I've had it. To put this into perspective I've not stalled any other of my manual transmissioned vehicles once in the last 13 years! It's almost like the throttle tip-in is not consistent or something. There is definately a "dead zone" for the first little bit of the accellerator travel.

Am I the only one who had a tough time getting accustomed to the fly-by-wire throttle?
No, its not just you. My wife and I both had a tough time the first few days. For me it was getting used to how slowly the engine revs up and down. I think the throttle response improves once it got through its breakin cycle.... or we just got used to it....
Old 05-24-2008, 09:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Doc_D

No i hate it to, and iam driving the jeep now 6months and i still sometimes nearly stall it and it looks stupid when my friends are around, but i keep telling them that its the computer. When i drive my nephew tj its a different feeling and i feel much better, and i hate the esp too, thats the only downside in the jk i think and i wish there would be away where we can take out all the electronics crap and put in a normal drive by wire and everything would be perfect.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

I don't seem to have the same problems you guys do but I have been driving this thing for a year and a half. I also drive a 6 speed race car and have always had a standard. I did have a slight adjustment at first but it will come more natural the more you drive it. When upshifting I dont even need to use the clutch as my syncros work awsome. Just be gentile with the pressure on the stick and let the tranny do the work.

YMMV
Old 05-24-2008, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Gasser
I don't seem to have the same problems you guys do but I have been driving this thing for a year and a half. I also drive a 6 speed race car and have always had a standard. I did have a slight adjustment at first but it will come more natural the more you drive it. When upshifting I dont even need to use the clutch as my syncros work awsome. Just be gentile with the pressure on the stick and let the tranny do the work.

YMMV
Its not a huge problem and mostly i drive it perfectly unless iam daydreaming or not really concentrating, i forget that i have to push my foot down more and it nearly stalls. But if iam concentrating then no way it thinks even about stalling.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, it defently feels wired. I still stall mine and I have only owned one automatic trans Jeep in my life. It has a major dead spot as far as Im conserned. It SUCKS! Other then that, I love my Jeep
Old 05-24-2008, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

It's a pain. I don't like it at all. Once it starts to stall that's it. You maybe able to delay it for a second or two, but it's going to die. Jeep should use the current calibration for 4-low and write a new one for 2 and 4 high. I have a Corvette and their is no way you would know it's drive by wire with out looking under the hood.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:18 PM
JK Freak

yeah I have had it stall and die a few times, I think once I actually prevented it from stalling but that was a fluke versus skill.

Still, I'm pretty happy with my JK. Just takes some getting used to.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is that there must be something wrong. I find that it is very easy to take off in the JK.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ive never stalled mine but my wife has.

Quick Reply: 6 speed & Electronic throttle