Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Advantages to having Freedom 3-Piece Hard Top on 2 Door Wrangler?

Old 10-31-2010, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advantages to having Freedom 3-Piece Hard Top on 2 Door Wrangler?

I am considering purchasing a new 2010 2 Door Wrangler. One of the two I'm looking at has the Freedon Top 3-Piece Modular Top. The other has only the Sunrider Soft Top.

Other than the obvious security advantages, are there other advantages to having the hard top? I live in North Georgia and this Jeep will be my daily driver.

Is the hard top much quieter than the soft top? Is the soft top colder in the winter? What about rain? Does one leak more than the other? Is the hard top hard to remove and install? I assume you need a large area to store the top when not in use? Is the soft top easy to lower and raise? Lastly, are there other things I should consider with these tops?

Sorry for so many questions, but the hard top option is $1,625 and I need to decide if it would be worth the extra money?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:39 PM
JK Junkie

I think it depends on your type of weather. I bought the one with the soft top because I frequently have my top off and on. Its on at night when I'm sleeping and off during the day.
I don't notice noise from my soft top at all and it's never leaked in rain.
At first I wanted the hard top but I had no place to store it and I wanted to be able to run topless on a trail and just incase we get rained on I could easily put my top on.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in ohio.. have had 7 wranglers and all of them with soft tops.. ..

the hard top is heavy to take on and off with 1 person (have helped plenty of friends with theirs).. with 2 people a 2 door hard top is not bad....

the $1600 option you speak of is actually a dual top option, which means you would have both tops and could decide which one to use...

storage is an issue.. many people with tall ceilings in their garage build up a winch and hoist system for storing their hard tops during summer months when the soft top is on...

security-wise a hard top is more secure than a soft top... esp if it has tinted windows where people cannot look in and see stuff you might have stashed...

on the road the hard top ride is a little quieter than the soft top esp in strong winds.... .the mere fact esp on a 2 door of having glass windows directly behind you instead of plastic side windows makes a little road noise difference....

im not familiar with anything other than riding in a hardtop so not sure if leaks are any more or less of an issue..

I hear of people having soft top leaks.. but ive not had any on any of my JK;s..

the worst on the soft top is water colects on top.. then when you open to get in the water drips right down on the edge of the seat.. not sure if that happens with hard top or not..

all of this though.. I still wont buy a Jeep with a hard top.. for the cost it doesnt make sense to me.. i like having the sunrider open or top down a lot.. the heater is more than effective even in the coldest weather to keep a soft top jeep warm...

-Christopher
Old 10-31-2010, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

A lot of people I know with the hard tops have never taken them off because it is a pain. If you are not planning to go topless, then get the hard top. This is my first jeep and I don't think I would ever get a hard top in the furture if I bought another one...just my preference though.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

We have a 2010 2door with the Freedom Top. It's quieter than the soft tops I've driven and the visibility is better with the big side and rear windows.

It's quiet enough for normal conversation and you can hear the radio without cranking the volume to the distortion level.

Taking the top off is like anything else...a struggle the first couple of times but then you learn all the little tricks and it becomes easier. My wife and I, neither one of us young, can have the two front panels off in five minutes and back on just as quick. The rear piece takes ten but mainly because we take our time with it so we don't drop anything. It's not heavy but it's awkward until you get used to the fact that it's tail-heavy. For storage we just put it on a pair of 4x4s next to the garage and cover it with a tarp to keep tree sap and bird droppings off. It stays on the JK all winter so winter storage isn't relevant.

We've had it for over a year, it's been on and off several times, and there are no leaks. In rainy weather the rain gutter will tend to drop a little water on the floorboards when you open the door...wish somebody would come up with a fix for this.

No problems with keeping warm in winter or cool in the summer. The JK heater and AC is more than adequate.

We especially like being able to pop the two front panels off and throw them in the back. Since we ditched the entire rear seat assembly there's a lot more room back there.

Hope this helps you.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hard top is much quicker to remove and re-install than the soft top (no zippers, tabs, window removal, etc) and then there's the other advantages outlined by others, so there's really two issues to consider.

1: Removal & storage. With two people it's simple to lift off & then store somewhere, but by yourself you'll need either a hoist that fits to your garage roof or you'll need to fabricate (or purchase; I think you can buy them) a trolley to slide it onto; the advantage of this is that you can wheel it away and store it anywhere you have room, so it doesn't have to hang from a garage roof like the hoist. If you don't live in a house with a garage or yard then storage of the hard top when you remove it is your main issue.

2: Weather/security. If you remove the hardtop & don't then carry the soft top with you then you're at the mercy of the elements. Many, including myself pruchase a bikini top which offers sun protection and some rain protection. If you're planning to be away overnight without any top, security of your Jeep is also an issue.

I live in a hot location with very strong sun so really only drive topless in winter, so I keep the hard top on for most of the time. You can remove the freedom panels in 2 minutes to completely open up the front of the cabin for that open air experience & store them in the back. I also have noticed that many of the soft tops where I am are starting to look really ratty & faded after only a few years due to the sun's UV damage but I'd say it's not an issue in most parts of North America.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I struggled with this for my purchase (still waiting on delivery).

I decided to go hard top and soft top only because the availability of Jeeps in this are are limited in the color and options that i want. If I was ordering I would buy hard top only and get a trektop in the spring for my summer top.

I think the hard top with the removable panels makes for a fine winter, early spring and late fall. Here in Kentucky however I'll want a fully removable top that folds for easy removal and quick reinstall in the event of rain while out running around.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:37 PM
Lui
JK Enthusiast

I have both tops, and I think the soft top alone is sufficient. It really is plenty quiet, especially compared to the older jeeps. The heater pumps great so there's no worries there. The hardtop is just bigger and less convenient to go topless which means you'll be spending more time closed up. We have a season where it's hit or miss with rain daily. The softop gives you the freedom of having a roof or not in a moments notice. If you have any doubts which one you prefer then either get both or spring for the hardtop because softops are cheaper and more plentiful to come by on craigslist.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

We chose the dual top option with ours. The hard top is by far much quieter than the soft top. If fact the Jeep with the hard top on is a quieter ride than my daughters 06 Honda.

As said before it is a breeze to remove, the two front panels might take a minute each and then there are a couple screws on each side of the hard top plus the rear window wiper/washer connection which just unplugs. After that just lift it off, we use a moving blanket and a couple saw horses to store it in the garage.

Now there are two pivot screws on each side to have the soft top mounted back to the Jeep and you're ready to roll. The nice thing about the Freedom Top is that you can take the two front panels and reinstall them so that you have a hard bimini top of sorts which is great here in Florida. If you have rain just remove the two hard front panels put them in the storage bags that come with the hard top and then pull up the soft top.

We have showers here that last all of 10-20 minutes so when the rain stops the soft top goes back down, the front panels are back on and you're headed down the trail or road again. We have had no leaks with either top and have driven in some pretty hard rain.

My advise get the dual top option you won't regret it. If you do decide later that one or the other is not for you it will be easy to find a buyer.

Last edited by RubiRush; 10-31-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Detyellow2008
A lot of people I know with the hard tops have never taken them off because it is a pain. If you are not planning to go topless, then get the hard top. This is my first jeep and I don't think I would ever get a hard top in the furture if I bought another one...just my preference though.
Same boat. First Jeep, went with hardtop, rather have a soft top. I drive with the windows always open so noise isn't a problem. Taking the hardtop off doesn't take much time, but with limited space and no place for a hoist, it becomes a pita.

Quick Reply: Advantages to having Freedom 3-Piece Hard Top on 2 Door Wrangler?