Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

after head replaced, something with coolant blew

Old 04-26-2012, 02:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default after head replaced, something with coolant blew

ok, just had the head replaced on the 2012 because of the loud ticking noise and found out last night after noticing my fan was running really high and loud that something inside the engine bay has blown and there is coolant everywhere. may have driven it about 30 total miles to the house while this was going on, and called the jeep 24 hour tow to have them tow it out to the dealership. y'all think i could have done any damage to the engine or anything that may not show up now but later down the line? anyone else have this happen?
Old 04-26-2012, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hopefully you toasted your engine and they will replace it,
if you drove it 30 miles without coolant, your check engine light should have been on
Old 04-26-2012, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont tell them you drove it 30 miles like that! tell them you noticed when you stopped or anything else they could try to throw it back on you as you should have stopped when you first noticed something and drove it anyway jus sayinw
Old 04-26-2012, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Since the dealer did the repair, they will be held accountable for something not being right
Old 04-26-2012, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

I wouldn't worry about it much, either way. Guessing they tech didn't properly reconnect coolant hose. Without a temp spike and idiot lights firing off, should be no harm no foul. Worst case, it would overheat and warp head. Not your fault or responsibility in any case....just more time with no jeep.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

yeah, i didnt tell them anything other than when i got home i noticed the fan running loud and when i popped the hood that coolant was everywhere. its at the dealership now and they've looked at it and are in a loss for words. they cant seem to find what caused it. they're running pressure tests now on it. guess its a spontanious jeep coolant explosion or something. i mean it had to come from some place.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

and no lights came on and temp gauge didnt move, just the fan kicked in to overdrive and was loud as crap. could hear it from inside the jeep while driving on the interstate with the radio on
Old 04-26-2012, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

Might have had an air pocket, then blew it out of the overflow tank...
Old 04-26-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

MERCY!!!!! I feel for you! I am getting my head replaced TODAY for the same ticking noise. I will definately do a double check so I don't have the same problem. Took a month to get a head in for me and get mine fixed. I sure don't want to see the dealer for a while!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

no, dont think it blew it out of the over flow cause the lid was secure when i looked inside it. who knows. hopefully in a few hours i'll hear something from them

Quick Reply: after head replaced, something with coolant blew