Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Air Filters

Old 11-06-2010, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filters

Is anyone using a K@N filter or other cotton replacement? Looking to see if there was any noticable difference from stock. I had done this in both of my mustangs for performance, but I am looking for savings since my JK will soon spend more time in the woods and I could have to replace more often. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Freak
You will not want to be using a K&N if you get into any kind of dust.

Why not? Does the K&N have trouble filtering dust? Does dust clog the filter?

I went with a K&N because it can be cleaned and reused. I did not perceive or expect any performance or MPG gains.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:25 AM
JK Newbie

Then be prepared to clean it quite often. With a dry paper air filter, you can tap alot of dust out, and reuse it, after driving in severe dusty conditions. A k&n however is coated in filter oil. It clogs REALLLLY quickly with fine dust in severe dusty conditions, and you aint tapping the dust out of it. Its stuck like glue, actually, dust turns into this..... Oily.... Paste like substance on an oiled filter.
I was in the army, and many times we would blow air filters out for m1 tanks and trucks and such. Being we were in a "desert" climate, with a k&n, wed have to wash them hourly, with paper filters, daily, you blow air reverse flow through filter with compressed air, and put it back in. Easy as pie.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

If you really just want to run a CAI then look at the aFe brand. They make one that does not have to be oiled. To clean just rinse with water and mild soap, let dry then reuse. Makes a small difference, not much but if you get areally good deal on one then go for it.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want an advanced air filter, consider Amsoil (no affiliation; don't use them much personally). They have a microfiber filter that should work well in dusty conditions but isn't oiled, so can be vacuumed clean like a regular paper filter.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx
Old 11-06-2010, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between

FWIW, I had a Amsoil on my Dodge diesel and it worked quite well.
All thats needed to clean was remove, blow it off and put it back in.
Problem is, they dont list one for the Jeep.

Last edited by donnie; 11-06-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:42 AM
JK Freak

I just threw in a k & N drop in filter and was pleased with the little kick it gives on acceleration
Old 11-06-2010, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default K&N kit -one week in

I did the install on the K&N cold air kit a week ago and I am already noticing a difference in both gas mileage and pick up. My mileage over the last week (mixed city/highway) is averaging 21.5mpg and the acceleration is definitely better.

Not a green race car by any means - but any improvement over stock is good

Old 11-06-2010, 11:13 AM
JK Freak

Installed a K&N drop in 13K ago. Checked the tube running to the throttle body last weekend and it is clean as a whistle. I do run in some dust so yeah it's probably time for a wash. I'd feel more inclined to wash it if my mileage hadn't jumped up 1 mpg with the cooler weather the past couple of weeks.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:14 PM
JK Super Freak

I like my AFE dry drop in filter, simply for the fact that I do not have to oil it. I can clean it on the trail if I need to by tapping it on a rock. That is supposed to bring it back up to 80% filtration without washing it out. I dont know about all of that, but mine has done what I wanted it to do and is still holding up well after about 40K miles. I am toying with the idea of getting an enclosed cold air system like the one Banks or AFE makes, but I am still in the researching stage.

Quick Reply: Air Filters