Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

All automatic transmission JK owners should read this! regarding overheating trans

Old 04-04-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Low

The Dealer has no line on TSBs- that's "Corporate". What we all can-and should- do is call Chryslers "Hot Line" 1-800-992-1997/ 1-877-426-5337 and express our concern about this issue; Since it is a TSB being implemented, it has a safety issue (over heat= FIRE) The NHTSB might act on complaints too, and light a fire under Chrysler to get the TSB domestically ordered (No pun intended) My dealer=$ 75 per hr
Yeah I should do that. If I get a different price from my dealership and the numbers just get stupid high would it be worthwhile asking them to install a b&m (i would pay them for that)? Is that a warranty red flag? I know if I did it myself I would likely get grief from them.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jjntj2003
Is this just happening when towing or offroading?
No. Apparently, even on pavement; for the "Facts", use the Search Function, and you will find lots of info- not to Panic, remember, the sensational few drowns out the vast majority that are boringly trouble -free.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think everyone that is complaint about this quality issue need to shut up or buy a Prius.

It's a Jeep, so stop complaining!!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Low
No. Apparently, even on pavement; for the "Facts", use the Search Function, and you will find lots of info- not to Panic, remember, the sensational few drowns out the vast majority that are boringly trouble -free.
So would you say then that the vast majority of automatic JK owners don't have overheating tranny problems even without an aftermarket cooler? That would be good news. The additional tranny cooler should be an option, not an absolute necessary upgrade on a vehicle that is supposedly "Trail Rated", whatever that means.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973

So would you say then that the vast majority of automatic JK owners don't have overheating tranny problems even without an aftermarket cooler? That would be good news. The additional tranny cooler should be an option, not an absolute necessary upgrade on a vehicle that is supposedly "Trail Rated", whatever that means.

What "trail rated" means, in the words of Jeep/Chrysler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrPoU...e_gdata_player

Reading this and other threads leads me to the conclusion that the stock tranny cooling system is OK for mild use. Once someone goes above the curve the system seems to fail miserably. Jeep/Chrysler escape by not being clear about what the Jeeps are able to do.

It's a shame, since it appears that the vehicle's survivability is no longer the same that made it famous. I agree that some folks are edge cases and push it beyond its design limits. However, it would help a lot knowing what those limits are.

In my case, I own a JKU with an auto tranny and already added an extra cooler to my to-do list. Simply cannot toleratey Jeep failing me because I may have pushed it beyond a limit I am not sure about.

Last edited by Sahara_Maverick; 04-04-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
What "trail rated" means, in the words of Jeep/Chrysler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrPoU...e_gdata_player

Reading this and other threads leads me to the conclusion that the stock tranny cooling system is OK for mild use. Once someone goes above the curve the system seems to fail miserably. Jeep/Chrysler escape by not being clear about what the Jeeps are able to do.

It's a shame, since it appears that the vehicle's survivability is no longer the same that made it famous. I agree that some folks are edge cases and push it beyond its design limits. However, it would help a lot knowing what those limits are.

In my case, I own a JKU with an auto tranny and already added an extra cooler to my to-do list. Simply cannot toleratey Jeep failing me because I may have pushed it beyond a limit I am not sure about.
So then would the snowy trails in that Youtube video be considered mild use?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973

So then would the snowy trails in that Youtube video be considered mild use?
One could argue so, since the Jeeps are constantly rubbing the snow banks, ergo cooling the tranny and the cold weather also helps. It would be interesting, for the sake of this threads' main argument, that the demo/test trail was in a desert during a Summer day. ;-)

Last edited by Sahara_Maverick; 04-04-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by toad
In regards to the autos overheating....

Way back when, when the JKs first came out and us 07s were learning about all the bugs the jeep had, we found ourselves hearing a random ding going up long, steep inclines. We finally figured out it was the engine getting hot. Therefore, whenever we go up long, steep inclines, we drop the transmission into 2nd gear and take our time going up.

Some have got transmission coolers to correct this problem. Since I have an 07, and I know about this problem, I know how not to overheat my engine. When off-roading, don't climb the hills in 4HI. This will certainly overheat your engine. Keep the JK in 4LO when going up steep climbs and your engine will not overheat.

I do not have a trans cooler. You are more than welcome to purchase one if it eases your mind. I've found that if you drive the jeep in the correct gears when climbing or driving up inclines, that you don't necessarily have to have the cooler. Again, off-roading...4LO, changing from 1st, to 2nd to drive...depending on the obstacle and terrain. On steep inclines on-road...drop it into 2nd gear. This way, your engine isn't working so hard, therefore it shouldn't overheat.

Are you using the words engine and transmission interchangeably?
Old 04-07-2011, 03:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JKs made here come with dual fans (standard OEM electric + a mechanical fan hidden in a big shroud (pic)

Also they come with a factory installed OEM auto trans cooler (Pic) exactly because of the 42RLE's tendency to overheat under severe conditions.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine front view.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	147374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Auto Trans Cooler side.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	147375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine side view of mech fan.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	147376  
Old 04-07-2011, 05:26 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by desertbuzz
JKs made here come with dual fans (standard OEM electric + a mechanical fan hidden in a big shroud (pic)

Also they come with a factory installed OEM auto trans cooler (Pic) exactly because of the 42RLE's tendency to overheat under severe conditions.
...as any automatic would do with the same original/inadequate setup, under the same conditions.

Quick Reply: All automatic transmission JK owners should read this! regarding overheating trans