Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

All automatic transmission JK owners should read this! regarding overheating trans

Old 09-23-2010, 09:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Covalt, no offense at all, really. But, you're the only person so far who has yet to have a dealer install a cooler, free of charge and maintain the warranty. You have only 5 posts on this site and I've asked if you could tell us who your dealer was, and you have not responded, so your story is seeming a little fishy to me. If the story is in fact true, please offer us your dealer info so we can get ours connected to yours because yours had to have had this approved by Chrysler in order to the work, which means it's in the books at Chrysler that this particular service has been approved as warranty service. Therefore, we could find out who at Chrysler autho'd this service and go from there.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
Covalt, no offense at all, really. But, you're the only person so far who has yet to have a dealer install a cooler, free of charge and maintain the warranty. You have only 5 posts on this site and I've asked if you could tell us who your dealer was, and you have not responded, so your story is seeming a little fishy to me. If the story is in fact true, please offer us your dealer info so we can get ours connected to yours because yours had to have had this approved by Chrysler in order to the work, which means it's in the books at Chrysler that this particular service has been approved as warranty service. Therefore, we could find out who at Chrysler autho'd this service and go from there.
Its possible Covalt hasn't reviewed the thread to be a ble to reply, so maybe its not so fishy...
Old 09-23-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Which is why I took care to be polite in my post.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Owners Manual?

I just checked the 2010 owners manual could not find where it recommends installing a trans cooler. Can anyone tell me where they read this??

Thank You!
Old 09-23-2010, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default What brand?

Originally Posted by TJeeper
I installed an aftermarket cooler. Took an hour of my time and $50. Way better than dealing with the dealer.

I got to test it out right after installing it. I was towing a 2200 lb. trailer up the mountains here in Colorado. The worst hill is the one right outside Denver going up I-70. The outside temp was 91F, and my engine temp had climbed to 3/4 on the gauge. My speed was 35mph (speed limit was 60- the 3.8 is way underpowered) and I did not get the HOT OIL message. I can't say what the tranny temps were (installing a gauge is on my to do list) but the tranny did not overheat.

Patrick
Patrick,

What brand of cooler did you install? Did the kit have all of the proper hardware and fittings? Where did you buy it, from a vendor on this forum?

Thank you for the info!
Old 09-23-2010, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JerryJeff
Patrick,

What brand of cooler did you install? Did the kit have all of the proper hardware and fittings? Where did you buy it, from a vendor on this forum?

Thank you for the info!

I installed a B&M in mine and have never seen a HOT OIL light even when driving in Death Valley in the summer. Best money I spent on the Jeep just for peace of mind.

Flash
Old 09-23-2010, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flash1034
I installed a B&M in mine and have never seen a HOT OIL light even when driving in Death Valley in the summer. Best money I spent on the Jeep just for peace of mind.

Flash
X2 with the B&M. Cheap investment for the peace of mind.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:15 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryJeff
I just checked the 2010 owners manual could not find where it recommends installing a trans cooler. Can anyone tell me where they read this??

Thank You!
I have seen it only in the factory service manual.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

WTH!!>>>I am in the Dallas / Ft.Worth area and just called three different Jeep dealers service managers and NONE of them have heard of the transmission oil overheating (one remembered a 2007 model that got hot, but didn't remember the details, thinks it was a kinked line) but all of them said it would NOT void my warranty if a chose to put on an after market cooler "if it made me feel better"....

So, I have never had the warning "Hot Oil" light come on, on my 2010 Rubicon Unlimited with 2400 miles....

Should I be concerned and put a oil cooler on anyway....

Or is this just a bunch of hype to b*tch about...

But I don't want my Jeep to burn up like that dudes Jeep did in the desert....(my opinion on that is he had some dry grass that got caught in his skid plate near the exhaust...just sayin)
Old 09-23-2010, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Angry 2008 sahara also having hot oil

Alright so the timing of this post is perfect for me as well. Over the summer we were down in OBX driving on the beach. The Hot Oil light popped on for a few minutes so we just took the jeep back to the house to cool off while we ate lunch.

3 weeks ago took it to Assateague island, same thing happened. Parked on the beach for a few hours anyways so didn't really matter, but did do research as soon as I got home.

After reading your initial post I called up Chrysler Customer Service described the issue they forwarded me to their 5 Star Dealership and Service near me. Talked to the service and parts person, described the issue made sure they understood it only happens when climbing steep hills or driving in sand etc...They said they would search through their database to find a transmission cooler.

After not hearing from them for a few hours I started looking through MOPAR myself and found their http://parts.mopar.com/

Steps

Selected Jeep > Wrangler > Parts > Then a list pops up > Cooling > Transmission oil cooling > Transmission Oil Cooler and Lines

You will then see a diagram of the cooler with lines and valves etc...

The Issues...

1. Price of the Transmission cooler with lines is expensive as hell.
2. Feel the need to buy MOPAR as to not Void Warranty...
3. Feel the need to have dealership install as to not Void Warranty...
4. Feel the need to cuss out Designer of transmission heat sink etc because its crap

Quick Reply: All automatic transmission JK owners should read this! regarding overheating trans