Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Annoying F'ing *squeak*

Old 09-18-2007, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying F'ing *squeak*

It is NOT a clunk, or a rattle, or anything BUT a 'squeak', coming somewhere in the rear behind the front passenger seat. It is a 3 or 4 or 5 in a row squeak (high pitched) over very minor imperfections in the road.

Can anyone advise a link or the fix, before I lose it while driving?

I had it brought in months ago and some service dork said he spent hours but finally found the cause by tightening something (I think he said the bolts under the seat, because when I have my kids in that seat the noise seemed to stop), although now it still makes it regardless...
Old 09-18-2007, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know its not helping you out....but I've had a squeak when shifting from 1st to 2nd and then to 3rd since I've owned my JK. When I finally brought it into the service center...they told me it was my garage door opener. I had it clipped to the windshield loop! Well, I've velcroed it to the dash now and its going in on the 25th for the stall recall and to have it checked again... I'm willing to bet that now its because I have front coil spacers and 33's on there! I HATE the service I get from Jeep. I can't wait for this thing to be out of warranty!
Old 09-18-2007, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PeterBateman
It is NOT a clunk, or a rattle, or anything BUT a 'squeak', coming somewhere in the rear behind the front passenger seat. It is a 3 or 4 or 5 in a row squeak (high pitched) over very minor imperfections in the road.

Can anyone advise a link or the fix, before I lose it while driving?

I had it brought in months ago and some service dork said he spent hours but finally found the cause by tightening something (I think he said the bolts under the seat, because when I have my kids in that seat the noise seemed to stop), although now it still makes it regardless...
i got the "squeak" also and sometimes it can get real high pitched. I am trying to figure it out
Old 09-18-2007, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, this is what I did. I looked at the door lock thingy (what the door latches onto when you close it) on the REAR DRIVERS side, noting its exact position and angle - which was slightly pointing inwards, and NOT MAKING NOISE. I then went to the other rear door, and looked. It was different, not the same angle. I adjusted it so it leans in a bit, and lowered it a bit making sure it still catches the door when it closes....no more f'ing squeak!

This remedy has been talked about before, but I'm not sure if the ANGLE of the latch was discussed...at least for me, and at least for now, its working.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you running with the hard top? I had a squeak or rattle, can't remember now exactly what it sounded like but it ended up being that the passenger side screw knob that helps hold the freedom top panels in place had loosened up a bit.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racerx
Are you running with the hard top? I had a squeak or rattle, can't remember now exactly what it sounded like but it ended up being that the passenger side screw knob that helps hold the freedom top panels in place had loosened up a bit.
soft top right now, but its fixed...i hope, but thx for reply.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I find that there is NO CONSISTANCY in the build quality of the JK's! Some are great, others are terrible, most are somewhere in between. The thing that gets me is the variation of rake in EVERY FREAKIN' JK. 2 exact same models, same order package...even same color and the rake can differ as much as 2 inchs.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PeterBateman
OK, this is what I did. I looked at the door lock thingy (what the door latches onto when you close it) on the REAR DRIVERS side, noting its exact position and angle - which was slightly pointing inwards, and NOT MAKING NOISE. I then went to the other rear door, and looked. It was different, not the same angle. I adjusted it so it leans in a bit, and lowered it a bit making sure it still catches the door when it closes....no more f'ing squeak!

This remedy has been talked about before, but I'm not sure if the ANGLE of the latch was discussed...at least for me, and at least for now, its working.
wish it could work for me but only 2 drs..... I will check the latch though, not a bad idea. I want to say its the seat but all the bolts are tight, extremely tight and its not coming from the dash board. I think some might have come from my sidegaurds and i tighten them and the squeak has gone away some but there was always some squeak even before the side gaurds
Old 09-18-2007, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I detailed my jeep today, fixed the squeak, and for the first time, the jeep is good. just the keys rattling....my next job
Old 09-18-2007, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

I had an annoying squeek/high pitched rattle on the passenger side and it turned out to be a zipper from one of hte roll bar coverings hitting the metal roll bar. I was about to loose my mind before I finally figured it out. I tried the door latch, tore apart the side panel, tighted every bolt I could find and all it was was a darn zipper rattle.

Quick Reply: Annoying F'ing *squeak*