Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Annoying noise/clunk in Steering Column

Old 10-11-2011, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, my boot rotted away about a year ago, because of the grease I used in it. I've been running my steering shaft exposed, and it's doing just fine.... aside from the need for occasional greasing.
The following users liked this post:
Shawng (09-12-2022)
Old 10-11-2011, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used electrical tape to seal mine. It worked relatively fine I'd say.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I was excited to find this thread, did the job last night. Took off my shaft & I used Lucas 5th wheel grease. Put everything back but still have a "less of a" clunk in the steering... Maybe it has to work its way in a bit more??? I hope so,

My clunk started about 4 days ago at 42k. Hope it works:/....
Old 03-20-2012, 03:06 AM
JK Newbie

I just noticed the same problem in my jk after doing some off roading. It gets really noticeable at low speeds when I rock the wheel back and forth. I checked everything I could think of and it's all tight which leads me to believe it's something in the steering box or the shaft itself, it doesn't seem to affect the steering at all but it's really annoying and if it was something serious I wanted to get it fixed. Thanks for the info

07 2 dr rubicon
4 inch daystar lift
30 inch bf mud terrains
Old 03-20-2012, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

My 2011 JK that I bought in June of 2011 started the steering clunk around July of 2011, about 600 miles in. Around October it got really bad for my liking. I could not find 5th wheel grease at any of my auto stores. What I ended up doing in November of last year was just injecting heavy duty chassis grease into my boot with a needle. I do not know the correct term, it is the kind that goes on the end of your grease gun. I simply poked a hole in the boot. The hole is so small that you can not even see it. The clunk decreased dramatically. Yesterday was in the mid 80's (when it usually shows up), and I barley feel it. I am sure I will have to add more this summer, but if you are lazy and can not find 5th Wheel Grease, regular grease improves it.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok well glad I'm not the only one getting this, I was starting to worry.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Replaced under warranty about 2000km's ago.
All nice and quiet so far.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

My dealership doesn't recognize the problem. I've taken it in twice and explained that the clunk is very obvious after the jeep heats up.

Before taking it in the last time I had my local mechanic look at it. His opinion is that the steering shaft is not shielded well from the heat coming off the engine.

He showed me the upper u-joint on the intermediate shaft appears wet with oil while the lower u-joint is dry. He said this may be the heat breaking down the seals on the u-joint. I showed this to the dealer, but they said there's no problem.

Does anyone with the clunk have a wet-looking upper u-joint?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-861797856.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	312152  

Last edited by fivenote; 05-03-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

So glad I am not the only one with this. Gonna try tightening bolts and grease.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fivenote
My dealership doesn't recognize the problem. I've taken it in twice and explained that the clunk is very obvious after the jeep heats up.

Before taking it in the last time I had my local mechanic look at it. His opinion is that the steering shaft is not shielded well from the heat coming off the engine.

He showed me the upper u-joint on the intermediate shaft appears wet with oil while the lower u-joint is dry. He said this may be the heat breaking down the seals on the u-joint. I showed this to the dealer, but they said there's no problem.

Does anyone with the clunk have a wet-looking upper u-joint?
Two questions here...

(1) Anybody check their upper u-joint on their intermediate shaft to see if this is the source of the clunk?

(2) I found a post in another forum titled "What REALLY causes steering clunk? How To Upgrade Your Drag Link End" (google that). The OP says it was his drag link end that connects to the pitman arm. He replaced it with one designed for a Ram truck that came with a grease fitting. Would anyone with the clunk like to check this on their JK?

Quick Reply: Annoying noise/clunk in Steering Column