Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another Pentastar head failure and a head's up

Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Another Pentastar head failure and a head's up

Got the bad news this morning; driver's side cylinder head needs to be replaced. 60% leak by the exhaust leak-down test. Heads are on indefinite back-order. I purchased the Rubi last September, so it may well be from that early batch that seems to have the most failures. I had 8900 miles on the engine at the time of failure.

The reason for the post isn't to generate sympathy but to make '12 JK owners aware that Chrysler instituted a software "update" that the dealer attempted first. That cleared the check engine light, but on the second re-start, the CEL came on again.

So...if the dealer does the software update to your rig, I suggest you re-start the engine several times before leaving the dealership and then make some noise if the CEL comes back on. Seems like a bandaid solution to me.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So beside the CEL what were symptoms,
I got mine in september also, no issues to date and have 20,000 miles so far. The reason I ask is once in a while there is a high pitch squeal that appears rpm related, also some ticking at startup, but not so concerned with that that's normal cold motor stuff.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

So I just texted a buddy that is a asst. service manager for one of the largest Jeep dealers in California. Asked him what problems the Pentastar motors are having like heads or other.
His Reply
Yes heads for sure

Guess buying the extended warranty would be a good deal.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

This does not make me feel good. I got mine is August. I just keep reading these post and keep my fingers cross that when I need mine replaced, they will have them in stock.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you have any power loss with the problem? I'm looking to get a 2012 this summer.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Towzone100
Did you have any power loss with the problem? I'm looking to get a 2012 this summer.
No power loss, no ticking; just the check engine light. I was told by the service rep that the head leak is only an issue at idle but not at operating RPM and temperatures.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grand Umpah
Got the bad news this morning; driver's side cylinder head needs to be replaced. 60% leak by the exhaust leak-down test. Heads are on indefinite back-order. I purchased the Rubi last September, so it may well be from that early batch that seems to have the most failures. I had 8900 miles on the engine at the time of failure.

The reason for the post isn't to generate sympathy but to make '12 JK owners aware that Chrysler instituted a software "update" that the dealer attempted first. That cleared the check engine light, but on the second re-start, the CEL came on again.

So...if the dealer does the software update to your rig, I suggest you re-start the engine several times before leaving the dealership and then make some noise if the CEL comes back on. Seems like a bandaid solution to me.
Asked a few more questions and found that the only solution is to replace the heads. No software update will help this problem. So if the dealer says it's just a software fix, go to another dealer.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Wow...this problem is starting to seem really popular. I'm glad I never thought about getting rid of my 08. Hope your Jeep gets fixed soon!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Search Possible problems with the 3.6 pentastar engines.
That thread is VERY extensive with more than enough information. It will help more than starting another thread on the same topic.

There are links in that thread stating that chrysler is aware of the head issues etc. It is amazing the posts in that thread. So many have gone through so much crap ( me included) making the dealerships aware that the ticking is Not normal or the software "Flash" will fix the issue.

Hope you all get your issues fixed quickly and/or NEVER have to encounter the head issues.

Last edited by nakednuns; 06-28-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

According to my source (works for Chrysler) they were aware of it the year before and contemplated a recall, but they decided to just let customers discover it on their own. The fact is they have no idea how many were affected, but it's a HUGE number. The main symptom is the ticking. Mine had it from day 1 but no one would do anything about it because they didn't have a trouble code. Dealers are aware of the problem but they have been instructed to do the flash first, even though there is no chance in hell of it stopping the problem. They replaced my drivers side head and it's been great since, but I noticed that I now have a slight tick in the passenger side head so I expect that it's going to be replaced at some point. Oh and since Chrylser hasn't really identified the issues, you are just as likely to get a defective head as a replacement.

Quick Reply: Another Pentastar head failure and a head's up