Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Any way to re-center stock rear axle?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to re-center stock rear axle?

Second post in 2 days...I've noticed in the past that my back end was off-center, but never got too concerned. In fact for a while I thought it was just my imagination. But the rear axle is definitely shifted to the passenger side by at least an inch, probably more. There is visible strain on the sway bar link bushings, so I'm starting to freak out a bit. No lift, stock everything, only light off-roading. From what I've read the only option is to install an adjustable track bar. Is this really true? How could it have gotten so out of whack? Would bending the factory track bar straighter be an option? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would check mounting points on the track bar. Did one rip off or bend? If brackets are good, then you would want to look at adjustables. Don't try to straighten the factory bar as it would probably only weaken it more.
That's where I would start anyway
Old 01-06-2012, 10:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you have something like a torn mount, you probably have a track bar issue. Purchasing an adjustable track bar is the easiest solution, assuming you don't have a structural problem back there.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like what they said above, if you bent your factor trackbar, just get a new one, or aftermarket adjustable. remove the factory one, measure the distance from the frame to the rear springs and you can bounce the body of the jeep until it is centered. if you get an adjustable trackbar, adjust it the amount that is the difference between the sides (ex: if the drivers distance is 1 inch, and passenger distance is 1/2 inch, than you need to adjust the trackbar 1/4", put the frame side of the trackbar on, bounce the body til the trackbar lines up with the axle mounting point. You are now square.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your springs start to sag then it could cause it to be out, factory springs like all springs will sag eventually

Quick Reply: Any way to re-center stock rear axle?