Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone have luck with eBay key Fob?

Old 03-24-2019, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I got a key off amazon and tried to get it to program for months. I had 2 keys also so this would have been my 3rd. Never worked.

One day I was picking up my new battery from a local place called batteries plus bulbs. The guy said he had the key in stock $45 and could program it for $50. So basically $100 out the door. Way more than I was thinking I would spend with the $25 amazon key but I tried everything posting videos here serval time with no result. I did it. $100 per working key cut and coded with remote start working also.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rednroll
If you're checking with Best Buy, shouldn't that tell you it's an aftermarket remote start? Why would you check with Best Buy?
Go to this website and punch in your VIN. It will provide you with a list of options that came on your JK from the factory. Mine came with Remote start from the factory and it shows " Remote Start System" in the list under "Optional Equipment".
https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing
crawled under the dash and it’s aftermarket remote start.

it’s a Polar Start “PS-3155”

now I have to figure out which key fob to get and how to program. Gosh I don’t want to spend $100
Old 03-24-2019, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by poesdad

crawled under the dash and it’s aftermarket remote start.

it’s a Polar Start “PS-3155”

now I have to figure out which key fob to get and how to program. Gosh I don’t want to spend $100
Probably a good idea to look for the owner's manual of the remote start online. Maybe there's some other factory button combo to activate it or you have to do something to program it. The 3 lock button press was based upon an aftermarket remote start I have on a Jeep Patriot where I was told that was a common method for aftermarket remote starts so you didn't need an additional fob for the remote start but of course different brands could use different methods.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris
I got a key off amazon and tried to get it to program for months. I had 2 keys also so this would have been my 3rd. Never worked.

One day I was picking up my new battery from a local place called batteries plus bulbs. The guy said he had the key in stock $45 and could program it for $50. So basically $100 out the door. Way more than I was thinking I would spend with the $25 amazon key but I tried everything posting videos here serval time with no result. I did it. $100 per working key cut and coded with remote start working also.
Sometimes it's just worth biting the bullet and keeping your sanity. I got a used Jeep Patriot for my son which only came with one fob. I bought (2) of the OEM remans off of Ebay. I had one cut and programmed at the dealership which run me $80 for the cut and programming on top of the cost of the fob. Thinking I was going to save a few bucks, I had the 2nd one cut at Lowes and figured since I now had 2 working fobs I could program the 3rd one myself. I was never able to get the 3rd one programmed using the self programming method. So you're stuck in a sea of unknown in that you don't know if you got a bad key that can't be programmed, or if you're doing something wrong with the self-programming method.

I've gone through this whole process with multiple FCA key fobs. Just when I think I'm an expert and know exactly what needs to be done, I always run into something new each time I've had to do it. Just getting the key cut ends up being a pain in finding someone that will cut a fob that you didn't buy from them and not charge you what seems like an arm and a leg.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-24-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Sometimes it's just worth biting the bullet and keeping your sanity. I got a used Jeep Patriot for my son which only came with one fob. I bought (2) of the OEM remans off of Ebay. I had one cut and programmed at the dealership which run me $80 for the cut and programming on top of the cost of the fob. Thinking I was going to save a few bucks, I had the 2nd one cut at Lowes and figured since I now had 2 working fobs I could program the 3rd one myself. I was never able to get the 3rd one programmed using the self programming method. So you're stuck in a sea of unknown in that you don't know if you got a bad key that can't be programmed, or if you're doing something wrong with the self-programming method.

I've gone through this whole process with multiple FCA key fobs. Just when I think I'm an expert and know exactly what needs to be done, I always run into something new each time I've had to do it. Just getting the key cut ends up being a pain in finding someone that will cut a fob that you didn't buy from them and not charge you what seems like an arm and a leg.
im wondering if one of the other car stereo shops in town could figure out a way to do it.

I am selling my 2018 f-150 that has the flip out key and fob with remote start and move it. I’m wondering if I could get two of those and someone could program them to the aftermarket remote start module. I would think somone that knew what they were doing could get it done easily.

I found the manual for the polar start and will read.

Quick Reply: Anyone have luck with eBay key Fob?