Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

ATTENTION - 2014 Wranglers have bad oil leak problems!

Old 09-05-2020, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 JK here - oil filter adapter leak/replaced at 44K miles. Joined here to look and see wtf and now I found out wtf..it's a pos part that should be recalled considering the damage it can cause and how widespread it is. Dealer here says they just recommend replacing them preemptively at this point not waiting for them to fail because just about every single one does they said.

Last edited by Baby Yoda; 09-05-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 423 Posts

OP sure looks like a hero now. Looks like he got pissed and left for good. That cheaper part sure cost FCA didn't it. Wonder if those expensive JL or JTs will have issues like this? BTW my LT Chev does not leak oil or water.
The following users liked this post:
overactor (03-03-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 03:15 AM
JK Newbie

Default Oil leaking 2014 wrangler, 50,000 miles

I just noticed oils leak, saw the oil stains on the garage floor and blamed on my girlfriend's car...is an old car...how would I have imagined that my Jeep was the one to blame on...it first had the radiator replaced, at the dealer I was told that they suffer from that problem...no one mentioned about the oil leaks. Car is going to the dealer soon, let's see how much is the repair.

QUOTE=co-utah;3912551]Dude, how many people who take their Chrysler 300 to the dealer for an oil leak do you think post up on an internet forum about the issue? None. They don't know their dipstick from a hole in the ground, and they aren't going to be anywhere they couldn't call a tow truck anyway.

As I think I mentioned:

1) This is NOT repairable on the trail. This piece is buried under the intake manifold. It is a four hour shop job. What are you going to do, disassemble the entire top end of your brand new Wrangler in the middle of the desert? What are you going to do then?

2) Not a single issue with the 2011-2013 piece. None. Nada. Zero. This is obviously related to the 2014 redesign of the oil filter/cooler system.

3) We aren't even out of the 2014 model year, and there are already a dozen Wranglers that people have actually taken the time to post that they had the issue, as well as a couple of Cherokees and even a Durango. This is not one part breaking on one vehicle. As the weather gets hotter, and people pile the miles on their 2014's, there are going to be thousands of people with this issue.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-19-2021, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WTF_Chrysler
During this time I prepared a 3D model. There was an idea to make a prototype in plastic first. I do not know if this is correct. What do you think? Or in the metal?
METAL!!!! Take my money! I'm having to spend $800us to replace the P.o.$#!t thing.

If I had the right shop, I'd 3D print, make a Plaster of Paris type mold and fill with aluminum.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

Mine just started leaking. This is the 2nd one i know of on my keep and it only has 70k miles I did some research I found a lot have gone bad when it’s cold out called my local dealership there are like 38000 back ordered at dealerships he said he can’t confirm for sure but there are rumors of a recall. All my local parts stores and most places I’ve looked online are out as well. Apparently it’s not just Jeep’s it’s all the 3.6l engines that use that part.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

My mechanic just informed me that this needs to be replaced, unfortunately the part is on a 2 month backorder! Any word on this being a recall?
Old 03-04-2021, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Mine just randomly went. I am in Canada and it is so more expensive here to purchase from the dealer and Rock Auto is out of stock. Might take my chances with an Aliexpress ones from China and swap sensors. How bad can it be if the OEM part breaks too. Other option is a pre-2014 one but will need to use old style filter but see no reason why it would not work. But there is no way I am waiting 2 months.

Managed to snag one of the last o-rings sets from rock auto as would not trust the aftermarket ones. Figure maybe just the o-rings so when I will pull off will pressure test the housing for leaks. There is always JB Weld...

Last edited by hydronaut; 03-04-2021 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I've posted something about this within the JK talk section and I'm currently waiting approval.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Collyn
So, basically, you are saying that 15-16 or so failures out of 10's of thousands of 2014 3.6L Pentastars? I say....NOT BAD! Actually pretty damn good! That's a better success rate than NASA.

Lol this didn't age well. Currently over ten thousand oil coolers are on backorder for the 3.6l, my '14 JKU is a driveway ornament right now.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in Ontario as well, were you able to find a part?
If so, where?

Quick Reply: ATTENTION - 2014 Wranglers have bad oil leak problems!