Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Auto or manual?

Old 11-05-2012, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto or manual?

What are advantages and disadvantages of either? Thinking about trading 11 Sahara for 13 (rubi most likely). My Sahara is an auto but to be honest that is only cause it was my DD at the time and was thinking lazy. My wheeling will not be extreme but I don't want to be held back. Hence the reason of having the rubi as the starting platform. Any insight will be helpful.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got both. 2012 Rubi Softtop auto 5 spd 4:10, and a 2012 sport hardtop 6 speed 3:73. As a daily driver I prefer the speed of the 6 speed and the little bit better mileage(about 3 mpg). As far as off roading, I prefer the auto. The few times I ran the sport 6 speed off road in 4 low, it just seemed I was always trying to find a correct gear. I don't care for how the manual stick bounces back and forth on the back roads. I don't care for the manual in stop and go traffic. I also prefer my remote start on the auto on cold mornings. If they made a 6 speed auto, I'd probably trade the sport in. Driving manuals most of my life(43 y.o.) and never thought I would prefer an auto over a manual.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I do like my remote start on my Sahara. I as well alway liked manual transmissions especially being a CDL license holder there have many miles logged shifting. I have not done much wheeling with the Sahara but my thoughts were an auto would be less hassle on the trail. But for some reason I have the itch for a manual. I guess since it won't be driven daily it will easier.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Manual is more difficult to wheel but I think it's more fun and if I run 4 low just run it in second. First is really low specially with my rubi's 4:1 transfer case. The big thing is not to shift in deep mud or water. You can suck it in you Trans that's why it's good to run in second in 4 low you can start it with out pushing in the clutch.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got the best of both worlds,6 speed manual with remote starter
Old 11-05-2012, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am guessing that remote start is aftermarket? What brand and idea of cost?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:54 PM
JK Freak

Yeah, you can get an aftermarket remote start for a manual, that's not a problem. Cost is the same as for auto. Search ebay for prices.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gamber75
I am guessing that remote start is aftermarket? What brand and idea of cost?
It's a compustar.If i remember correctly,it was about 400.00.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RoysRig
I've got both. 2012 Rubi Softtop auto 5 spd 4:10, and a 2012 sport hardtop 6 speed 3:73. As a daily driver I prefer the speed of the 6 speed and the little bit better mileage(about 3 mpg). As far as off roading, I prefer the auto. The few times I ran the sport 6 speed off road in 4 low, it just seemed I was always trying to find a correct gear. I don't care for how the manual stick bounces back and forth on the back roads. I don't care for the manual in stop and go traffic. I also prefer my remote start on the auto on cold mornings. If they made a 6 speed auto, I'd probably trade the sport in. Driving manuals most of my life(43 y.o.) and never thought I would prefer an auto over a manual.

Couldnt agree more with.....well, this whole statement.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I LOVE my manual. Makes driving it more enjoyable--well at least for me it does. I think if you have the itch to get a manual this time around then go for it and you won't have any regrets.

Quick Reply: Auto or manual?