Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Auto tranny linkage

Old 06-30-2007, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto tranny linkage

Anyone else run into this? I went to shift my JK into drive and the shifter felt a little tight. Then noticed it wouldn't go all the way back to park. All of the sudden it's all over the place, when the shifter on the floor says Reverse its actually in park and when it say drive it's in neutral. Now it's stuck in park although the floor shifter reads 1st so I can't take the key out? WTF!!

I crawled under it to check out the linkage and it appears to be loose, but I couldn't get a good look because the exhaust is flippin' hot! Can you say ouch!!

Of course I'll have to get the dealer to check this out, but I can't drive it. A tow truck would be embarrassing I've got to try to get this into drive so I can take it to the dealer on Monday.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

happened to me... the linkage bent. I bent it back and waited for the back ordered part to show up.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:33 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did the linkage bend?
Old 07-01-2007, 03:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RockRash
dont be embarrassed things break thats why the jeep came with road side assistance
Yeh you get free towing to a dealer, within 10 miles after that the cost is on you hope your not in the boonies.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by forumonlooker
Yeh you get free towing to a dealer, within 10 miles after that the cost is on you hope your not in the boonies.
I'm a little over 10 miles away from the dealer, 14ish. Still, it sucks to have to use the free towing.

The weird thing is, the control cable and linkage are up high on the side of the tranny out of the way. I don't have a body lift and nothing on the suspension comes even close to the linkage, so I'm wondering why it's loose.:confused:

I guess sometimes these things just happen. The guy at the factory was probably in a hurry to get that last one done for the day and didn't get it tight.

Quick Reply: Auto tranny linkage