Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Auto Trans Headaches...

Old 02-14-2009, 01:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by derff96963
I have been looking in to this. I think the problem is 4th hear or OD is too high of a ratio. When the RPM's are under 3000 the engine does not have enough torque to climb even the slightest hill. It will not unlock the torque converter in an attempt to get better gas mileage. Then when you push the gas hard enough to make it shift, it drops to 3rd and unlocks the torque converter. Its not a nice shift because of the large gear ratio change.

When you get reflashed or a new converter installed it won't lock for so many miles till it goes through the break in cycle.

I don't like what it does but it is designed to work that way. You won't get it "Fixed" at the dealer. There is no way to fix it without a different tranny.
Yep. We finally agree on something. Your assessment is on the money. And FWIW, I long ago gave up trying to get anything accomplished at the dealer. This is a design flaw pure and simple. If you live in flatlander country, it's probably not a problem but up here it sure is. Interestingly, I've talked to some people on other forums (Chrysler 300 particularly) who have attempted to do something about this by reconfiguring the valve body to change the shift points..............guess what? The damned computer relearns in about 500-1000 miles and it goes back to doing exactly what it did from the factory. Time for a Hemi and a decent transmission.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Splash

When the vehicle speed drops or during acceleration, the clutch automatically and smoothly disengages.

In the immortal words of somebody, "Bullshit!"
Old 02-14-2009, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skibum
In the immortal words of somebody, "Bullshit!"
That's too funny. That's the problem too. All it needs is to allow the converter to unlock at a slightly lower gas pedal pressure that it takes for a downshift. So if its not a really steep hill just unlocking might be enough.

Last edited by derff96963; 02-14-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm BONE stock on everything. The tire size is the factory 255s. The trans is entirely awful and I've owned a LOT of jeeps.

I'm going to ask that they reset the adaptives so I can at least teach it that I drive like a maniac (I don't) and have it at least more apt to shift aggressively.

I'm disappointed that there's no answer... so I guess I'll start working on that lifetime powertrain (at least until Chrysler goes Tits up.).

Thx.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:01 PM
JK Jedi

I have been looking in to this. I think the problem is 4th hear or OD is too high of a ratio. When the RPM's are under 3000 the engine does not have enough torque to climb even the slightest hill. It will not unlock the torque converter in an attempt to get better gas mileage. Then when you push the gas hard enough to make it shift, it drops to 3rd and unlocks the torque converter. Its not a nice shift because of the large gear ratio change.

When you get reflashed or a new converter installed it won't lock for so many miles till it goes through the break in cycle.

I don't like what it does but it is designed to work that way. You won't get it "Fixed" at the dealer. There is no way to fix it without a different tranny.
Yup that sums it up exactly and no fix. I also noticed an improvement when I put new all terrains on but still not gone.

I wonder if I higher gear ratio such as 4:10 or 5:13 may help?

Between this and the clunky steering, it makes for a crappy driving experience.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

my wife's Jeep Patriot is having the EXACT problem...
Old 02-14-2009, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ucfavenger
my wife's Jeep Patriot is having the EXACT problem...
a patriot has a CVT does it not, so it does not shift like a regular trans. So i wonder what you are feeling as you should never feel a shift. maybe you are feeling torque converter lock and unlock
Old 02-14-2009, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

That's too funny. That's the problem too. All it needs is to allow the converter to unlock at a slightly lower gas pedal pressure that it takes for a downshift. So if its not a really steep hill just unlocking might be enough.
Exactly...........but unless we can find somebody with the skills to get into the computer code and modify it, I think we're screwed. I think it's very interesting that most of the programmers for earlier Jeep automatics will allow you to alter shift points but none of them for the JK will. I expect that they know something about this tranny that we only suspect at this point......screw with it and it won't survive long.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Jedi

Why doesn't Chrysler just release an update?
Old 02-15-2009, 07:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Why doesn't Chrysler just release an update?
One of two reasons in my estimation...........

1) Making this trans shift correctly would involve letting the engine rev higher before it shifts and allowing it to downshift much earlier than it does. This would greatly affect mileage and therefore Chrysler's ability to meet federal CAFE standards.

2) Working the trans harder than the current shift points allow would adversely affect the life expectancy of this transmission.

Now that I think about it, it's probably both.

Quick Reply: Auto Trans Headaches...