Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Auto Trans Question

Old 06-11-2010, 07:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm probably going to find a grade and gradually drive up it checking my trans dipstick.(as per ronjenx) I'll post my findings. I'll also
look into a deeper oil pan that will fit above the skid plate. I appreciate all the suggestions. If ya got anymore or know of someplace to look for answers, let me know!
Old 07-05-2010, 02:05 PM
JK Freak

Default Tests and findings

So I took my '07 Sahara and decided to do some tests. With limited trails in my area I went to a place with a decent incline on a small hill... my mother's house.( it worked)
I wouldnt call these poser shots, I'd say... hometown testing shots sans trails. OK, poser shot, whatever, I needed to know the answer. Anyway...

I got it nice and hot on the way up and checked the trans fluid on level ground and it was right up the the "hot full" mark. Perfect.

I drove it up the hill slightly:

And here's the level: A little tough to see so i used to pen for reference. It's just below the "Hot Add" mark.

A little farther up the hill. It looks like the same distance but it's i steeper spot of the hill. (see the tree root by the R/F tire):

And the level, almost the same as before:

And one final one after driving around my mother's lawn:

The level is way over the full mark

So that's what i found, pretty much what you would expect. If i find a better hill, i'll do a test at a steeper incline. I don't really know how this relates to the pick-up for the pump, but it was fun to do!

Last edited by Ario56; 07-05-2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: to edit
Old 07-05-2010, 02:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Ario56
So that's what i found, pretty much what you would expect. If i find a better hill, i'll do a test at a steeper incline. I don't really know how this relates to the pick-up for the pump, but it was fun to do!
Thanks for taking the time to do these tests.

It relates by showing the oil level stays well into the "OK" level. The pump intake is well below the "hot add" mark on the dip stick.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Thanks for taking the time to do these tests.
It relates by showing the oil level stays well into the "OK" level. The pump intake is well below the "hot add" mark on the dip stick.
It was my pleasure. I'm glad it actually turned out to be usefull. I look forward to thinking up more tests.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

Nice job. Thanks for reporting your results. Have a cold one for your effort
Old 07-05-2010, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

ya great tests! thank you so much for taking the time and doing this :_)

Quick Reply: Auto Trans Question