Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Auto Trans Question

Old 06-10-2010, 02:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto Trans Question

UPDATE: TESTS ON PAGE 2

While recently off-roading with my '07 Sahara with an auto transmission, I was attempting to climb a steep flat face incline. I bottomed out/high centered at the top and after several attempts and many tranny skid plate scratches/dents, I gave up. Yes, I was the p**sy for the rest of the day, but I stopped because I was afraid of starving the trans pump of oil.

So in short, here's my question:
What incline/decline is safe for the automatic transmission and for how long with out worrying about starving it for oil?

Secondary question:
What can I do (other than a rip apart and rebuild) to help beef the trans up for 4x4ing?

THANKS!

Last edited by Ario56; 07-05-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Added detail
Old 06-11-2010, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

REALLY? No one has any advice?
Old 06-11-2010, 02:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ario56
REALLY? No one has any advice?
I dont think really anyone knows...this is the first time I have even heard of this. Would like to know as well since I have a automatic.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Do some experimenting. Drive onto a steep incline and check the dip stick. The fluid intake is very close to the bottom of the pan. Fluid level is way above the pan parting line.

The best thing you can do to "beef up" the automatic transmission, is beef up the cooling.
An aux cooler, maybe even with a fan for those slow hot days.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

On my last outing at Rowher Flats, which has several very steep inclines, my "Hot Oil" light for the transmission came on. Luckily, there were two guys following us on the trail, who just happen to be transmission mechanics, told us to keep the vehicle running in 4lo with the air conditioning running. The "Hot Oil" light never came back the rest of the day.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't over heat and most of all don't over fill and don't go alone

Last edited by 33 williys 77; 06-11-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have done some pretty steep but short climps and never had any problems. i have heard of people loosing drive though while climbiing. Look in Rock Krawlers heavy duty deep trany pan. Supposed to be beefy as hell and help prevent trans from running dry.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ARM2004
i have done some pretty steep but short climps and never had any problems. i have heard of people loosing drive though while climbiing. Look in Rock Krawlers heavy duty deep trany pan. Supposed to be beefy as hell and help prevent trans from running dry.
Hi ARM2004

the problem with deep trany pan is clearance for the skid plate,back in the old days lets say 50's 60's we used to carry the old water bag, that we hung from the rad cap, it was made to drip water down the front of the rad, young people wont know about that today

Out here on the west coast we have very hot and dry heat with little to no humidity to carry the heat away and some very long steep grades on the freeways some are 20 to 50 miles long or longer.

Last edited by 33 williys 77; 06-11-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 33 williys 77
... back in the old days lets say 50's 60's we used to carry the old water bag, that we hung from the rad cap, it was made to drip water down the front of the rad, young people wont know about that today...
Had an engineering professor in 1978 whose brother owned a 'vette that would overheat during the summer months. The solution was to reroute the A/C coil condensation drain to just in front of the radiator, that small drip was enough to solve the problem.

I remember asking my dad about those bags when my parents and I took driving vacation in 1964 through AZ and NV. Oh hell just realized at 54 I guess I don't count as young people any more.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kingteddybear
Had an engineering professor in 1978 whose brother owned a 'vette that would overheat during the summer months. The solution was to reroute the A/C coil condensation drain to just in front of the radiator, that small drip was enough to solve the problem.

I remember asking my dad about those bags when my parents and I took driving vacation in 1964 through AZ and NV. Oh hell just realized at 54 I guess I don't count as young people any more.
HE HE

Lets see born in 1956 I'm sorry you are still young, you are not a baby boomer, so stay young forever and enjoy all of your life, and all that goes with it ( while you can ) be safe and the best to you and your's

Quick Reply: Auto Trans Question