Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Auto trans stuck in 2nd

Old 01-03-2013, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mailmanmikey
i have an 08 w/ 168000 mi on it -this prob started at abt 30k and became more of a prob as time went on until 165k (last mo) then it couldnt be corrected by restart or disconn batt. troubcode p0845/hyd press ck- the prob is a solinoid pack replaceable w/o removing trans but they have to drop exhaust which requires remvng inner fender wells. cost me $655 now trans leaks 1 qt/3 days atf4 @ $7 qt. obviously @ 168k this aint my 1st rodeo w/ dealer. i got lots of stories about whats to come for ya. mike
Got to love those dealerships.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mailmanmikey
i have an 08 w/ 168000 mi on it -this prob started at abt 30k and became more of a prob as time went on until 165k (last mo) then it couldnt be corrected by restart or disconn batt. troubcode p0845/hyd press ck- the prob is a solinoid pack replaceable w/o removing trans but they have to drop exhaust which requires remvng inner fender wells. cost me $655 now trans leaks 1 qt/3 days atf4 @ $7 qt. obviously @ 168k this aint my 1st rodeo w/ dealer. i got lots of stories about whats to come for ya. mike
My bet is on a solenoid. I've had them go bad before--not in a Jeep, but my dad had one go out when we were riding together in an old Plymouth Voyager he had, and I had it happen to me in an S10 blazer. It all happened the same....both cars would get stuck in 2nd gear, no warning, no warning lights, nothing. Both times it ended up being a solenoid going bad.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

I think I have the problem on my jeep resolved but I will know for sure over the next week or two.

WARNING to anyone with a 2012 3.6 automatic transmission .......Do not install a rear detroit soft locker.

I believe this was the problem. The dealer tried to tell me it was from my tire size (poor excuse after they could not figure it out). I let them know about the locker when I first brought it in. They said that should not affect the transmission. After dealer gave poor excuses another service center figured this out right away. This will happen on 2012 automatics after the installation of Detroit Locker in rear Dana 44. So he installed the lsd and so far, day one, all good. Apparently the locker engaging and disengaging was throwing off the brake sensors or something to that effect. Too bad because the locker was very streetable and great off road. I will know conclusively in next few weeks and post results.

Last edited by fino; 01-10-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 PM
JK Newbie

The only thing that put me off a little bit was that Chrysler sent them a lame response to give me in that it was an answere to brush off the potential warranty issue by blaming the tire size (my tires are 315 75 R16). It just concerns me a bit that if it was or is a problem they could just write it off so easily as to say "Well, you put larger aftermarket tires on a jeep." Like thats never been done before (including new Jeeps they currently sell on there lot). Chrysler did however later offer to put factory size tires on it to see if it was still a problem. So not all bad I guess. Also, the technicians at the dealer should have had this figured out in the first 5 minutes. The second dealer center got it right away.

Last edited by fino; 01-10-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

Default 2009 Jeep JKU not shifting *code reader reading shift solenoid A*

Originally Posted by fino
Still no resolve from the dealer. They said it was fixed then it happened as soon as I drove it off the lot. Took it back to the service advisor and he said they would have to take another look at it. Even let him drive it in limp mode. Just to be clear, I am not bumping the auto transmission into 2nd, its in Drive but will only run in second gear. If you try to shift it manualy it does nothing. Just stays in drive and only allows 2nd gear. Will not shift.
I have the same issue and I try to clear all of the codes but it works until I stop and then it starts the “limp mode” again. I’m taking it to a transmission shop today, it almost feels like it’s stuck in a single gear and will not shift at all, I’m stuck at 60 doing over 5,000rpm steady. Don’t know what’s wrong, started happening yesterday, trans fluid levels are fine.

Quick Reply: Auto trans stuck in 2nd