Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Baja Stories

Old 10-10-2020, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Baja Stories

Just about to roll 190k on the 08. Closing in on the 200k mark. Since covid I've had even more free time to roam Baja and on this particular adventure, I get the 02 sensor check engine light every 600 miles now. What is weird is that it always comes with a C1405 - Transfer Case Range Position Sensor Circuit High. Why do both of these codes come on at the same time? They would seem like they have nothing to do with each other. Transfer case is covered under lifetime power train and I would like to get it to the dealer with the code but I also have the super chips 87 octane tune running. Can I reprogram to stock settings while the check engine light is on? or will it clear it anyway once I restore it back to stock?

Drove about 2 hours off the main road to check some good surf spots last weekend. Instrument cluster says I'm in drive, Transmission shifter says im in Park. Cant move it out of park. Climb underneath and notice the linkage was off and just laying there. Pushed it up and back onto the transmission and relieved the heart attack I was having in the middle of nowhere by myself. lol I'm going to climb underneath tomorrow and take a closer look and do a tire rotation and hose down the undercarriage. Is there anything I should be looking for that could be broken on this? I didn't really look at it when I re connected it I was just thankful to get my truck outta there and back to base camp.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Ok so same problem tonight in a parking lot. This time the bushing that is inside the cable that hooks to the pin on the transmission is missing. I remember buying a plastic bushing as a spare but I think it was for the transfer case and not the transmission.

First I would love to have this covered under lifetime powertrain but I don't think external parts of the tranny are covered? Would this be covered or is it dealer discretion since its the cable?

2. When I reset the superchips to stock tune it deleted the codes so that answers that question for anyone wondering.

3. Any ideas about the C1405 - Transfer Case Range Position Sensor Circuit High?
Old 10-12-2020, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Wanted to get that post up since Im headed for another adventure on Sunday. Would this be the cable for a full replacement? $65 on rock but its a doorman? or is there a $10 bushing. The one I got is for the transfer case and it was $3 from rock before they sold out. I've seen some you tube videos with them using some kits from AutoZone and such. Im willing to bet there isn't a mopar part number for the bushing but rather you have to do the entire cable assembly.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...41555&jsn=1496

Last edited by EHarris; 10-12-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:17 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by EHarris
<snip> 3. Any ideas about the C1405 - Transfer Case Range Position Sensor Circuit High? </snip>
Below are the possible causes from the manual. First thing I'd try is removing the connector from the transfer case sensor, inspect the wires, and then clean it with some plastic safe 'tronics cleaner. That fist possible cause (below) could be simply a bad connection at that connector. It must be intermittent otherwise the dash indicators for 4WD would not work.

Regarding the O2 sensor code coincidence, maybe an intermittent C1405 DTC doesn't turn on the CEL, so the only time it gets noticed is when the CEL turns on for another reason???

C1405
When Monitored: With the ignition on. Battery voltage between 9.0 and 16.0 volts.
Set Condition: The TIPM detects 5.0 volts on the Transfer Case Range Position Sensor Signal circuit for 2.0 seconds when voltage should not be present.
Possible Causes:
(T313) MODE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
(K91) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
(T313) MODE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
TRANSFER CASE (4WD) SWITCH
TOTALLY INTEGRATED POWER MODULE (TIPM)
Old 10-13-2020, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mt. T always the electronic expert! Thank you. The transfer case is pretty small so Im assuming there is only one sensor going to it? or is that sensor actually on the transmission before? It makes "sense" (had to) too because when I shift into 4x4 sometimes it takes 20 seconds or 20 feet to kick the light on. I can feel being in 4x4 but its a delay popping it up on the dash. TC is covered under warranty but I'd rather not bring it to them if I can change a simple sensor.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

There is only one sensor on the tcase, it's on your driver's side, up above the shift linkage. There's a large nut with a connector dropping into it. I don't recall if there's a red safety catch on that switch or not.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Anyone with any ideas on the transmission shifter linkage bushing? I think I have a good game plan set for the T case.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Those plastic bushings are known to fail. I had one go on the tcase shifter and the dealer wanted to sell me the whole linkage instead of just the bushing. I've seen online where folks drill a hole in the end of the shaft and run a cotter key through it to keep the linkage in place, but I've not been brave enough to attempt that.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Ok I'm gonna look around for a bushing and I guess at worst case I can get a new cable and install that. It doesn't look too difficult. Would rather just pop in a plastic bushing however and be done with it.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going with this one and I will report back with the results.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...13604&jsn=1479

Quick Reply: Baja Stories