Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

battery question

Old 07-02-2009, 06:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default battery question

Hi guys

My jeep is acting up again...ugh. It wouldn't start yesterday. So hubbo jumped it. It started. But after sitting for an hour it wouldn't start. So we jumped it again then drove it around. It drove fine and even re started....then this morning it wouldn't start again. So he jumped it again. He thinks I need a new battery....??? So should I get the super one from costco? He says my battery didn't last as long due to all the winching?? what do you think?

Old 07-02-2009, 06:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Winching is hard on a battery, especially if you draw it way down a lot.
Get the battery checked along with the charging system before you spend any money.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:34 AM
JK Freak

I know he checked the bvoltage on the battery after he charged it. He said it was normal. It seems to run just fine but after sitting for awhile will not start. How would you check the "charging system" ?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are running the stock battery while wheeling, the plates inside are susceptible to coming loose and causing the battery to prematurely lose its ability to charge and stay charged. I had a similar situation... No start, charge...run fine etc... Battery tested normal everytime. I put in the optima yellow top and have had no problems since!
Old 07-02-2009, 12:54 PM
JK Freak

yep that is what I am going to get the optima batttery : ) hopefully this will work...
Old 07-02-2009, 02:19 PM
dsp
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the JK, if the battery is low, will it not evern try and turn over because of the computer?
Old 07-02-2009, 04:49 PM
JK Super Freak

I would get the dual battery tray from Benchmark. If one battery is empty, you always have the backup one. When one is full it will charge the other one on it's own while running.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Batteries are funny and can be quite fickle. I have had some that won't start my vehicle, but test fine. Others that clearly indicate a bad cell, etc. Right now I am running the factory battery.

But, once I have the money, I will be running dual batteries, perhaps even deep cycle at that.

I have had a few dual setups in the past and love them. It is a bit expensive, but when having lots of extra electrical stuff, well worth the peace of mind not worrying about starting the next day.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

How long have the factory batteries been lasting in the JKs assuming some heavy usage?
Old 07-02-2009, 09:11 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same issue, the battery had run dead and needed a replacement, due to a short circuit caused by the pervious owners Remote starter that had been removed incorrectly.

I got a new battery and the harness repaired under warranty (I bought it used via a dealership!!) but yah check into that.

Quick Reply: battery question