Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Is this the begining of the end?

Old 04-08-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the begining of the end?

I have searched and realize that there are allot if threads on this but i dint feel 100% confident that my questions have been put to rest.
I just dropped the jeep off for a tire rotation, with this thy did a complementary check of all the engine goodies. They came back to me saying the jeep has only 50% of it's oil. I changed oil 2000 miles ago and do not have any leaks marks were I park it. I have about 43000 miles on the jk and am now worried. After reading up I understand that the engine is likely fine as it has been running nicely and does not ping or make any other strange noises. But is this the beginning if the end for my engine, should I start saving for the hemi now? Or is this high consumption just something I am going to have to deal with?

Thanks .. I know it's a bit if a rehash
Old 04-08-2011, 11:31 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Top it up and check it once in a while. See if the usage is consistent.

If it is, try a heavier weight oil.

That's about all you can do for now.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 on ronjenx reply. Likely is that the engine is burning it. Definitely check it regularly and see if problem persists. If you wanna go Hemi, you could always start a Hemi fund. Put some in it for me too.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

With all the guys that have had engines blown at above 40 000 miles did their problems seem to begin with high oil consumption ?
Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Did you check the oil yourself? How did they determine you only had 50% oil (3 qts low)? The dipstick can't measure that.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Did you check the oil yourself? How did they determine you only had 50% oil (3 qts low)? The dipstick can't measure that.
I am not entirely sure, I will find out more when I go pick it up. I asume it was because there was no oil on the Dipstick. I had them do an oil change and they confirmed that there was a good amount missing from what came out.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Super Freak

They also say after putting it on a lift they do not see any leaks
Old 04-08-2011, 01:19 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

If it were mine, I'd just keep a very close eye on the oil level--check it every time you add gas and see what your future experience is. If someone tells me that my engine is three quarts low on oil and that they need to add/change it, I have to wonder how they determined that it was three quarts low. Obviously, once they drain the oil they can measure it. Or they can see how much they add to bring it up to the full line on the dipstick. But beforehand, if its not on the dipstick then it appears two quarts low after 2K miles--high, but nothing that would qualify for warranty work.

BTW: I'm always suspicious when a shop offers "free" work: Inspections, tire rotations, etc. It's a free way for them to find chargeable work on your vehicle!

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 04-08-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Clarifying text
Old 04-08-2011, 01:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

like everybody is saying, keep a solid eye on it. Mine has been leaking oil for a year now and everybody is like they don't know where it's leaking from even after 12 dealer visits
Old 04-08-2011, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtjk
With all the guys that have had engines blown at above 40 000 miles did their problems seem to begin with high oil consumption ?

I think its safe to say that the guys with blown engines are a direct result of running with low oil.

To the OP, just as some of the above have mentioned, switch to a heavier weight oil (5w30 or 5w40) & make it a point to check it regularly.

Unless you continue to run it out of oil you will be just fine.

Quick Reply: Is this the begining of the end?