Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Best guess on what is broken?

Old 07-11-2017, 04:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
There were some pieces that were not moved correctly so I spent a day correcting little things like that. Things that come to mind are rear brake lines, steering stops were missing, front sway bar links were mounted incorrectly, the bolts for the rear control arms were in the wrong spots (too short of a bolt), and axle breathers were not hooked up.

All of them were minor things and honestly, unless the dealer is super anal like I am or the technician is thorough and methodical then those minor items are likely to be missed.

I will say that once I sorted those out, the jeep drives just fine. They did fail to fix a fender and the hood wasn't straight but the fender and hood should have been replaced, then alignment wouldn't be an issue.

Watch the repair carefully, they'll attempt to use knock-off parts and in some places that's fine. I had an accident myself and they replaced my hood with an "OE equivalent". The hood looks like ass, doesn't close correctly, and has actually developed little bends and tweaks over time to where you can see the cheap metal has succumb to the pressure of the highway. I plan on taking it back and raising cane to geta Mopar hood.

Take note of your sticker placement and decals as well. I took mine to a shop where the owner was a "jeep guy" and had one "just like mine, 2010 and all". The decal placement was completely off. The Trail Rated badge was dead in the middle of the passenger side panel and "Jeep" was placed oddly across the front to where the tops of the letters were 1/8" off of the top of the grille. They reattached the rubber air seal on the grille with white 3m tape instead of getting a new one as they should have done.

On my repair, they ended up giving me the Jeep decal to place as I felt it should. I gave them measurements for the trail rated badge so it would be in the right spot.....to which the guy said, "you know, I thought it looked weird there" and I had them order the proper seal.

It can be fixed correctly, you've just got to be diligent and thorough, don't get in a hurry to get it back and don't be afraid to take it back in and have them correct mistakes.
Thanks.

FWIW, they gave the insurance company an estimate yesterday, but never bothered to call me.
Parts $6562.75
Labor $3980.50
Other $682.55
Old 07-11-2017, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just called them, they still don't know if the axle needs to be replaced, but they have ordered a new frame.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It took a week for the frame to arrive, hopefully yours will show up a little quicker. Keep us updated.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
It took a week for the frame to arrive, hopefully yours will show up a little quicker. Keep us updated.
I hope so too. It certainly can't be a quick job to replace a frame.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

That sounds like a total PITA......there's so much to move from damaged frame over to the new one. So many little things that could be overlooked. I wonder what the labor charge on that is. Ugh....good luck with this. Still subscribed to see what happens in regards to the axle.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, they finally called me, but didn't say anything I didn't already know. They are replacing the frame, but claim they won't know if the axle has a problem until they send it out for alignment

They gave me the same estimate that was on the insurance website. I assume most of the labor charge will be replacing the frame.

Parts $6562.75
Labor $3980.50
Other $682.55
Old 07-14-2017, 04:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by 16FW
Well, they finally called me, but didn't say anything I didn't already know. They are replacing the frame, but claim they won't know if the axle has a problem until they send it out for alignment

They gave me the same estimate that was on the insurance website. I assume most of the labor charge will be replacing the frame.

Parts $6562.75
Labor $3980.50
Other $682.55
I think I'll be shocked if you got hit hard enough to bend the frame yet not damage the axle. Guess time will tell. Hurry up and wait.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
I think I'll be shocked if you got hit hard enough to bend the frame yet not damage the axle. Guess time will tell. Hurry up and wait.
Yea, I am thinking the same thing.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Parts are still not at the shop. I have a couple questions:

1. What all is involved removing the body from the frame?
2. Does the roll cage have to come off, or is it attached to the body only?
Old 07-25-2017, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The body comes off of the frame with minimal work. Motech out in Vegas does it all day long and they've got it down to a science.

https://youtu.be/2HPT7KiveXM

The roll cage is bolted to the body only, sadly. Aside from the braking system, they should be able to lift it right off as seen in the Motech video linked above.

Quick Reply: Best guess on what is broken?