Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Best way to tow your JK.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to tow your JK.

Is it better for me to buy a trailer where I can put the JK completely on the trailer so that no wheels are moving on the ground, put one of those things that allow all the wheels to be moving like I see on a lot of RVs pulling jeeps or to put them on one of those things where two wheels are resting and the rear are moving?
Is it more aerodynamic if I buy one of those weekend warrior things people use for their sand rails that are closed compared to just putting the Jeep on an open trailer?

I've never had to tow a vehicle before only boats and horse trailers do you guys know what those different types of trailers for vehicles are called that I mentioned?
I want to bring my Jeep to Pismo Beach, and then maybe to the ORF shop to have a lift put on and the guys over there told me that if I lived far from there that I should bring my Jeep on a trailer just incase something happens.

Last edited by matt852; 11-08-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:02 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

A trailer is always better for the vehicle being towed.

To tow the JK, all tires must be on the ground, or all tires must be off the ground.

If you put the front tires on a dolly, the rear drive shaft must be removed.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Go with full trailer

Its either all tires on the road or all tires off. I will use a full trailer just because I will be towing behind my RV and I also do not want to run the wheels the long trips. trailer tires are cheaper to replace. Plus I can carry three trailer spares without taken any extra space. I'll also carry other things under and in front if the jeep. So that just me.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default All four down

I tow mine all 4 down. My motorhome can only tow up to 5000 LBs so, if I add the weight of a trailer plus my 4000 Lb JK I'll be over. Tows great and helps stabilize the motorhome in wild winds. Good luck
Old 11-08-2010, 08:59 PM
JK Freak

We have towed Jeeps 4 wheels down for 10 years with no problems.
If you have a trailer, an RV and the Jeep, it becomes a big pain in the ass having to deal with the trailer. Not all parks would have the extra space to park the trailer.
(Especially State and National parks)
Old 11-09-2010, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt particularly want the hassle of a trailer, so We re using a Road Master All terrain tow bar when we tow our 09 with the MH.
Works great for us.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cppower
Not all parks would have the extra space to park the trailer.
(Especially State and National parks)
Good point.....And alot of them will not even let you in the park with a trailer....... it's going to depend alot on the type of traveling you plan on doing.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I tow my JKU four wheels down behind my motorhome all the time (5,000+ miles so far this year alone). I also tow it with my truck sometimes when I need to drop it off somewhere for service. Dealing with the tow bar is easier than arranging a ride.

I would only tow the Jeep on a trailer if I was worried about breaking something which would prevent me from getting it home (via four down or driving). I used to put my Cherokee on my flatbed all the time due to that fear (and of course, it only broke the times I drove it instead of towing it, go figure).

If you're not going to do this all the time it's probably not worth the trouble since significant cost is involved. Obviously you need to have a suitable tow vehicle. A trailer will run around $1,000 or so used, plus a brake controller. A tow bar setup will be almost as expensive, possibly even more if you do it right and add a supplemental braking system (like a Brake Buddy).

Last edited by OpenTrackRacer; 11-09-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:47 AM
JK Junkie

I prefer to tow on a trailer if you have the option and the proper vehicle to do it.....Last summer I went and did a bout 5000km trip to Cali...i was so happy to trailer mine over driving it.....IMO less to worry about, like said, if you break bad, you can just trailer it.....no drive train on the ground....

Tow bar is fine though, most people do it, but if you can afford it, and the trailer doesn't bother you...go for it...

Old 11-09-2010, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We tow 4-down behind a motor coach too.... works real well.

But.... if yer gonna do serious wheelin and stand a good chance of damage to wheels or tires or driveline parts, then it would make some good sense to use a trailer.

A trailer is a PITA when doing stays at mostly RV resorts and such, and can prove problematic in getting a short term overnight spot when travelling. If you use a trailer, make sure you have a receiver and ball on the Jeep so you can use it to pull your trailer off to someplace where it can be stored overnight or longer, since almost NO rv resorts have sites that will work with a larger trailer. Trailers can be done, but are a PITA....EXCEPT if you've just junked your transfer case on the rocks at which point a trailer would be a spiffy thing to have available I suppose...

A trailer is probably cheaper than a full 4-down toad setup. A quallity tow bar, umbilicals, coach brake setup, toad base plate, wiring harness, toad brake setup with break-away.... etc will run ya about 3 grand or more.... and if ya change toads ya gots to move the stuff ya can and maybe buy some new stuff.

We used to have a class-A "hauler" motor coach that carried our sidecar rig or Smart Car in it's garage just fine. VERY handy for travel... not so handy for LIVING in the coach since ya lose 12 feet of coach space pretty much.
We have now gone with the Jeep and tow behind a bus-like diesel pusher, and carry the mosickle on a HydraLift on the back of the coach. Works GREAT for us, but we mostly stay in resort type rv parks with mostly back-in sites that are long enough for our tag-axle coach, but can't accomodate a trailer without taking it off someplace to be stored. Most rv parks along a highway like a KOA or such will have some pull-thru sites and many could handle a trailer just fine for an overnight stay.

YMMV

Quick Reply: Best way to tow your JK.