Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Blend door

Old 01-30-2014, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blend door

I'm having the issue of cold air on driver side and piping hot air on the passenger side when the heat is on. I've been reading a few post here and on other forums regarding the blend door and/or actuator but nothing solid is coming up on fixing the issue. I've also seen some walk through posts showing how to repair it yourself but, they are for the older model Wranglers. That said, has anyone successfully resolved this problem on their JK and if so how?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Funny you posted this, just a couple days ago I noticed this same problem on my '12 JKU. Hopefully someone on here has some answers
Old 01-31-2014, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '11 JKU soft top seems to heat/cool equally on both sides but it's something worth checking with my digital thermometer. I do have an issue when the temp control is in Auto... There is a definite HISSSS that at first I thought was a vacuum leak at the blend actuator. I hadn't noticed it until a few months ago. After playing with it and listening with my head in the passenger floorboard, I determined it is actually the sound of refrigerant being ported through the cooling coil (the AC is engaged when the temp is in Auto). I had it at the Dealer for something else and asked them to check it. They came back that they didn't hear anything out of the norm and the vent system was operating per design but they would note it for warranty purposes.
I had to come back a week later and left it running at the service window and asked one of the service managers to come out and listen. He heard it right off and commented that he hadn't heard that noise before. With it back in the service bay, one of the techs asked me if I could replicate the sound for him. We got in, rolled up the windows, started the engine and I turned the temp back to Auto and adjusted the thermostat. It began hissing again and he also replied that he wasn't sure what it was but would ask one of their AC techs. The service manager came and got me a few minutes later and told me the AC guy said its normal. Interesting.
I'm at almost 35k miles and just picked up the bumper to bumper Chrysler extended warranty so if the AC goes, it's covered. Still bugs the shit out of me. Guess I'll just crank up the tunes and roll down the windows!
Old 02-06-2014, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

Default Update!

I dropped the Jeep off at the dealer yesterday and finally got a call back this morning regarding the issue. They say it's an issue with the heat pump that has to do with sand from the casting being built up and clogging a portion of the heating and cooling unit. It's costing me over $300 to have it flushed so fingers crossed this is the solution to the problem since I have zero patience for guess work. I've read on here before someone being told the same thing and it ultimately being the actuator. Anyhow, I'll post the results when I get the Jeep back.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hank1978
I dropped the Jeep off at the dealer yesterday and finally got a call back this morning regarding the issue. They say it's an issue with the heat pump that has to do with sand from the casting being built up and clogging a portion of the heating and cooling unit. It's costing me over $300 to have it flushed so fingers crossed this is the solution to the problem since I have zero patience for guess work. I've read on here before someone being told the same thing and it ultimately being the actuator. Anyhow, I'll post the results when I get the Jeep back.
What year is it? 12-14? Why no warranty?!?

How many miles?

Ever have any work on the cooling system? Eg water pump etc.?
Old 02-07-2014, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Chrysler is actually having an issue with the coolant geling up on the newer 2013&14 vehicles causing them to replace the heater core, radiator and oil cooler to fix the problem.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I brought mine in yesterday and they told me there was no problem, it was working like it was supposed to?!?! I explained that I was not gonna drop it and I expect my jeep's heat to work correctly, do he offered to replace the switch (controls) so I will see what that does

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2014, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having the same issue on my 2013. When it is very cold outside ( below zero), there is a very big difference between the drivers and passenger side heat temps. It is however not very noticeable when the temps outside is warmer ( above zero). I did notice that if I press the left most control for "Recirculate", the problem goes away. I have not had time to get it to the dealer yet.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just noticed today that it seems like cold air is coming up my steering column(?)! Definitely a draft at highway speed coming out from the light and wiper arms and at the base of the steering wheel itself. Anybody else see this?
Old 04-29-2014, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by '11BronzeStar70th
My '11 JKU soft top seems to heat/cool equally on both sides but it's something worth checking with my digital thermometer. I do have an issue when the temp control is in Auto... There is a definite HISSSS that at first I thought was a vacuum leak at the blend actuator. I hadn't noticed it until a few months ago. After playing with it and listening with my head in the passenger floorboard, I determined it is actually the sound of refrigerant being ported through the cooling coil (the AC is engaged when the temp is in Auto). I had it at the Dealer for something else and asked them to check it. They came back that they didn't hear anything out of the norm and the vent system was operating per design but they would note it for warranty purposes.
I had to come back a week later and left it running at the service window and asked one of the service managers to come out and listen. He heard it right off and commented that he hadn't heard that noise before. With it back in the service bay, one of the techs asked me if I could replicate the sound for him. We got in, rolled up the windows, started the engine and I turned the temp back to Auto and adjusted the thermostat. It began hissing again and he also replied that he wasn't sure what it was but would ask one of their AC techs. The service manager came and got me a few minutes later and told me the AC guy said its normal. Interesting.
I'm at almost 35k miles and just picked up the bumper to bumper Chrysler extended warranty so if the AC goes, it's covered. Still bugs the shit out of me. Guess I'll just crank up the tunes and roll down the windows!
Ok... Six months later and I haven't been using the heat or AC so the hiss hasn't been noticeable. It was cooler today so I cranked up the heat and there it is! Seems louder than before. Definitely going to take it to a different dealer/mechanic to see if they also feel its "normal".

Anyone else hear something like this??

Quick Reply: Blend door