Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Brake Failure

Old 05-04-2015, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Failure

Three weeks ago my front passenger caliper seized and smoked. Installed new caliper and brake pads. Today I'm driving and my rear driver side caliper was not releasing, but didn't seize. I only have 38,000 miles on this '08 and have only driven 4,000 miles since last August. Is this a "Jeep thing"? I've owned many cars and trucks and never had a caliper fail, but two in one month is quite odd to me. I don't take it off road and mostly do local driving around town. I couldn't find a TSB or recall notice, however I've seen quite a few threads on this topic and find it surprising this is not on Chryslers radar. Any suggestions regarding this are welcome.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

38K miles on a nearly 7 year old Jeep makes me think it sits a lot, which is one of the worst things for a vehicle. Brake fluid absorbs moisture so even though it may not seem like a lot of miles on the fluid, it is a lot of time. The moisture in the fluid sitting around the caliper pistons equals bad news. I would flush it and add new fluid. And keep an eye on your lines as well, as they can rust through with a lot of moisture in the fluid.

I don't know if that is what is going on but it is what I would do if you haven't been changing the fluid all along.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
38K miles on a nearly 7 year old Jeep makes me think it sits a lot, which is one of the worst things for a vehicle. Brake fluid absorbs moisture so even though it may not seem like a lot of miles on the fluid, it is a lot of time. The moisture in the fluid sitting around the caliper pistons equals bad news. I would flush it and add new fluid. And keep an eye on your lines as well, as they can rust through with a lot of moisture in the fluid.

I don't know if that is what is going on but it is what I would do if you haven't been changing the fluid all along.

I'll flush the lines and add new fluid while I'm installing the new caliper and pads. Thanks for the suggestion. I own a 1968 Corvette which was fully restored with rebuilt motor in 2006 and only drive it about 5,000 miles a year. It's 47 years old and still has the original factory disc brakes. A 7-year old Jeep and I'm replacing 2 calipers.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:26 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Perhaps someone added brake fluid from a used container that wasn't sealed tight (and it absorbed moisture). The cap on the master cylinder could be a source of moisture entry if it's not sealing air-tight.

Quick Reply: Brake Failure