Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Brake fluid?

Old 05-04-2011, 05:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake fluid?

Does anyone know how much brake fluid is needed for the JK? I'm having longer front and rear brake lines installed along with my lift. And does it require any special kind of brake fluid, or will any brand do?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Freak

I use a DOT 3 brake fluid. Just get a larger bottle of it, you could always have more than none at all...
Old 05-04-2011, 06:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

The quick answer is DOT 3.

This is from the Factory Service Manual:

The brake fluid used in this vehicle must conform to DOT 3 specifications and SAE J1703 standards. No other type of brake fluid is recommended or approved for usage in the vehicle brake system. Use only Mopar brake fluid or an equivalent from a tightly sealed container.
CAUTION: Never use reclaimed brake fluid or fluid from an container which has been left open. An open container of brake fluid will absorb moisture from the air and contaminate the fluid.
CAUTION: Never use any type of a petroleum-based fluid in the brake hydraulic system. Use of such type fluids will result in seal damage of the vehicle brake hydraulic system causing a failure of the vehicle brake system. Petroleum based fluids would be items such as engine oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, etc.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:18 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The quick answer is DOT 3.

This is from the Factory Service Manual: ...[/B]
Somewhere in one of the official books (owner's manual?) it also says DOT 4 may be used. I replaced all of my fluid with DOT 4 because of its better performance vis-a-vis moisture. It took a large bottle and a small bottle--three pints??
Old 05-05-2011, 08:16 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Somewhere in one of the official books (owner's manual?) it also says DOT 4 may be used. I replaced all of my fluid with DOT 4 because of its better performance vis-a-vis moisture. It took a large bottle and a small bottle--three pints??
Yes, the owner's manual says if DOT 3 is not available, DOT 4 is acceptable.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:39 PM
DV8
JK Newbie

OK very old thread, but here is an easy to understand short article on the difference between DOT 3 versus DOT 4.
Difference Between Dot3 and Dot4 Brake Fluid | Difference Between | Dot3 vs Dot4 Brake Fluid
Old 05-16-2017, 09:55 AM
JK-Forum Editor

Default How-To Tuesday

More on this in today's How-To Spotlight article...
https://www.jk-forum.com/articles/ho...g-your-brakes/

Quick Reply: Brake fluid?