Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brake light

Old 09-21-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light

HI all over the past few days my brake light comes on. I never use the emergency brake and it only comes on in the morning very odd, any ideas on whats going on I have about 22k miles on it
Old 09-21-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Greenhornet
HI all over the past few days my brake light comes on. I never use the emergency brake and it only comes on in the morning very odd, any ideas on whats going on I have about 22k miles on it
I would hope it's been coming on at all times of the day!
Ok, ok... Really, can you give more detail? When does it come on and go off, for how long, what makes it finally go off, etc?
Old 09-21-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your fluid level, its prob low...
Old 09-21-2009, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default what happens

ok get in the car and drive when I get to the first light I'm sitting there and it pops on with a ding and if I drive on it goes off, it might come on at the next light by that has only happen once it stays on for a few seconds. Thanks for reply
Old 09-21-2009, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Ah, the inside brake warning lamp, I thought you meant the brake lights on the back of the jeep.
Well I don't think it has anything to do with the e-brake. If it were out of adjustment it could cause the light but no ding as far as I know.
Maybe something is up with the ABS system?
Sorry, I don't know much about the brake electronics systems.
Good suggestion to check the fluid level first.

Last edited by horwitzs; 09-21-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

If you haven't had brakes changed yet, i would look into that with that mileage. Could be border line low brake fluid and when you stop and go, it triggers the sensor in your master cylinder intermittently
Old 11-11-2009, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey guys, sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm having the same issues with my 08 JK.

Just within the past couple weeks the e-brake light will come on with a ding when I come to my first set of lights in the morning. It will usually go off after a few seconds, and may come on once or twice more, and after that I don't get it for the rest of the day.

If I pull the e-brake while the light is on, and the Jeep is in gear, the light will flash.

I'll check the fluid next time I go out, but is there anything else I should be looking at?

Oh yeah, the Jeep has just shy of 60 000km on it.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my guess, low pads all around making the level low in the reservoir...

my JK has 49,000 miles and I changed my rear pads twice, fronts once.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just took my jeep in today for somewhat of the same thing. However, I had my Brake light on, ABS/BAS light on, emissions light on, and the ABS light on...(different from the ABS/BAS)...AND my speedometer stopped working. Took it in and long story short, the dealer told my it was a bad, or "out of line", ABS module.

Wouldn't hurt to take it in anyway if it's under warranty

BTW I have just over 18k on my 08'
Old 11-15-2009, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just a small update. I checked my brake fluid level, and it was only about 2/3 of the way full. Topped it up, then I noticed a couple fresh drops on the ground near where I have been parking at work. I crawled underneath, and it looks like I have a leaky brake line.

Going to have to get that checked out, stat!

Quick Reply: Brake light