Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt

Old 03-20-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt

Was replacing my cracked manifold and found that I was missing an outer bolt when pulling it. All of the bolts we really easy to get out. Anybody ever run into this. It is the last bolt closest to the firewall on the drivers side.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't mention the stud is flush with the head, so nothing to grab onto or weld to. Wondering if a angle drill can get in there or a dremmel with a flex shaft.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:03 AM
JK Junkie

I believe an easy-out will fix it

My father was a machinist and I used to race bicycles and a few times I snapped off crank bolts and he got them out pretty quickly with them

Matthew
Old 03-21-2012, 05:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I believe an easy-out will fix it

My father was a machinist and I used to race bicycles and a few times I snapped off crank bolts and he got them out pretty quickly with them

Matthew
Ya, i think so too. All the bolts were either loose or very easy to remove. I don't think I will have a issue getting it out just need to get something in there to drill a hole. Looks like about 2-3 inches hopefully. It is the last bolt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-12.JPG
Views:	1231
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	293180
Old 03-22-2012, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got the hold drilled finally. I'm thinkin about heating this thing up before trying to remove with the extractor. Local strore has a propane torch and mapp torch. I can just heat the head directly right?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Idk about how hot you can get the heads...idk if they're aluminum or cast, but if you don't get it removed do a search for "clamp a stud"...its kinda like a glorified c clamp, I've used them twice on previous vehicles with great results...both were for broken exhaust manifold bolts, and I never had a problem with either, and they are removable.
If you can't get it drilled and extracted this will work if you can get the manifold off.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't think there is anything to clamp them to. I'm freaking committed now. I wonder if i can just seal it up with some permatex or something and hope for the best. I have no idea what is involved with pulling the head to have it machined.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

How hard is it to pull the head, I did a bunch of searching and found nothing. Was atempting to drill it out and broke the bit of inside the hole so out of options.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by maldoro
How hard is it to pull the head, I did a bunch of searching and found nothing. Was atempting to drill it out and broke the bit of inside the hole so out of options.
I have the same broken bolt. What did you end up doing with yours?

Quick Reply: Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt