Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Broken swaybar bracket

Old 12-10-2016, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken swaybar bracket

When I purchased my jeep it came with one of the swaybar bracket bolts broken in the frame. I was driving offroad and heard a pop. When I came out to inspect the swaybar bracket on the passenger side completely broke off and now the sway bar is pushing against my drive side frame. I am going to just disconnect it for now. Is there a relocated bracket on the market so I can mount the swaybar bracket elsewhere? The threads for the old mounting location is no longer good.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

To correct that you should cut and tap the holes for the next largest bolt you can get in there and put a nut on it.

Alternatively- teraflex will sell you a sweet dual rate sway bar with all of the fixings to get rid of what you've got. Someone else makes one as well but the name escapes me right now.

You may want to add some sway bar disconnects to this bar.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how would I get a nut inside the frame horn? Maybe just use an impact driver and put some lag bolts in there? I checked out the Teraflex sway....$800 thats pretty pricey for a sway bar
Old 12-10-2016, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I forgot about the frame horns, I'm used to the previous model where it was open. It is a pricey option, the tera, but aside from extraction, cleaning the threads, and trying your luck again I'm not sure what to suggest. Maybe someone else will have an idea on how to fish a nut to the front for you.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well aside from drilling and trying to re tap it, you could just have the mount welded to frame. Or replace with Currie Antirock swaybar to the tune of $480

Quick Reply: Broken swaybar bracket