Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Burning Smell & Warning light on

Old 11-18-2007, 12:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning Smell & Warning light on

After going wheeling for a couple of hours today, my engine started to have a funny smell like something was burning. Almost like that smell when someone leaves their handbrake on the freeway. I was way out on the trail to stop and do anything anyways because i have smelled this before, but other forum members said it was probably some debris sitting on my muffler getting hot so i continued on my way back. After i made a small climb the check engine light came on and then the red electrical light came on and the jeep stalled. I thought the engine was overheating but the temp gauge was perfectly centered. I restarted it and made my way back home just fine except the yellow check engine light was still on so i stopped at the gas station to take a look at the engine. Nothing unusual so i started it up and then the light was gone. But that smell was still there and now i knew it was coming from the engine because i could smell it through the radiator. Anyone know anything about this? Also my 4x4 shifter fell off while i was putting her in 4 hi, i found that to be unsafe.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:15 AM
JK Freak

Do you have an auto or stick? Also, how did the 4X shifter just fall off???? Really??? If so you need to take it back to the dealer....F that noise!
Old 11-18-2007, 12:18 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 6speed, sorry i should have been more specific it wasnt the entire shifter it was the nob, you could call, it that came off but still very dangerous to think that the trans shifter was built the same way
Old 11-18-2007, 12:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seal20
Do you have an auto or stick? Also, how did the 4X shifter just fall off???? Really??? If so you need to take it back to the dealer....F that noise!
Hey,easy there..........thats my line
Old 11-18-2007, 12:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by crux
Hey,easy there..........thats my line
What's your line? Hello...hello...
Old 11-18-2007, 12:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seal20
What's your line? Hello...hello...
f__k that noise
Old 11-18-2007, 05:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ubergeekj
I have a 6speed, sorry i should have been more specific it wasnt the entire shifter it was the nob, you could call, it that came off but still very dangerous to think that the trans shifter was built the same way
As far as the smell you described as "someone leaving their park brake on the freeway"

I have to ask HOW MUCH WERE YOU RIDING THE CLUTCH????? the clutch and brakes are made of the same material and when they get HOT they smell the same!!!
Old 11-18-2007, 05:59 AM
JK Freak

im guessing clutch to its an awful smell lol
Old 11-18-2007, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

+1 for heated up clutch.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

maybe i am riding the clutch, i didnt really think about it. how do i keep her from stalling without using the clutch a lot on the trail

Quick Reply: Burning Smell & Warning light on