Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Can anyone identify this part?

Old 03-16-2018, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone identify this part?

I was wondering if anyone knows what this piece of plastic/rubber that appears to be seperated when compared to the other side of the front axle. I noticed today when I was making a fast sharp left turn into gas station(avoided getting hit by a oncoming speeding car) I heard a popping noise on the right front side of the axle. Looked underneath and it appears it has disconnected and in fact looks shredded...
Is it okay to drive? I tried to replicate the sound with the same conditions but failed to hear any other noises. It drives and turns fine.
Also, a note: a couple of weeks before; me and the wife were attempting to go up a hill that had many eroded areas and gullies but it couldn't climb through and I heard a similar popping noise from the same location(ended up tucking tail and backing out of that climb).
Anyways, I've done a lot of research and can't identify this piece and what it is for..

The black piece that connects to the metal.. This is the front passenger side

Another angle of the front passenger side

This is the driver side and no damage is noticeable.

Any information is greatly appreciated guys!

Thanks, fwbb
Old 03-16-2018, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The black plastic piece is a debris guard to keep large debris out out your axle shaft. If you've got a popping then you need to check your u-joints for play. Jack it up and rotate the tire back and forth, you'd be looking for wobble.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot karls10jk!

Quick Reply: Can anyone identify this part?