Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can I tow a Camper with my JK?

Old 12-08-2019, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I don't know what the percentage is of jeeps with what gear ratio, but in my experience, if it's not a rubi or Willy's, then there's probably better than a 90% chance the it has the crappy 3.21 gears.
IMO, not "crappy" if you use it as a daily driver and want MPG.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Jeep has a Build Sheet that you can request for free. All you need is the VIN and they will sent you a copy of all the goodies that were installed during assembly. The Rubicon are the only ones with the 4:10 Dana 44 Differentials. Is possible to get any other trim with those differentials but highly unlikely.

Build Sheet Request.
https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/...ull&category=U

On GMs the build codes are inside the Glove Box and are called RPO Codes. Jeeps does not have such codes.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena
IMO, not "crappy" if you use it as a daily driver and want MPG.
I don't recall the exact math, but when I looked at gear ratios a few years ago, the 3.73 has about 10% more available horsepower and torque at highway speeds due to the higher RMP band it is in. I'll take that over a fraction of an increase in MPG any day.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

Well, let's consider your proposal.

Let's say it's my 3.6 which turns 2000 rpm at 65 or 70 mph. It's maximum of 285hp is achieved near its redline @ 6400ropm and the max. torque at 4800 rpm. At 2000 rpm it's loafing along for improved gas mileage. On the curves I've seen it's only producing about 79 hp at that engine speed. So "10%" is 7-8hp.

10% more horsepower & torque at highway speeds probably can't be felt at all. But improved mileage, even mild improvements is felt EVERY TIME you fill the tank. Anyway, I doubt I'll ever do much real off-road climbing in my Jeep but if I do the manual trans will allow me to cope just fine. Strokes/folks I suppose.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena
Well, let's consider your proposal.

Let's say it's my 3.6 which turns 2000 rpm at 65 or 70 mph. It's maximum of 285hp is achieved near its redline @ 6400ropm and the max. torque at 4800 rpm. At 2000 rpm it's loafing along for improved gas mileage. On the curves I've seen it's only producing about 79 hp at that engine speed. So "10%" is 7-8hp.

10% more horsepower & torque at highway speeds probably can't be felt at all. But improved mileage, even mild improvements is felt EVERY TIME you fill the tank. Anyway, I doubt I'll ever do much real off-road climbing in my Jeep but if I do the manual trans will allow me to cope just fine. Strokes/folks I suppose.
I had a very specific reason to look into this. I had a manual with 3.73. When towing a trailer, with 5th gear I could cruise at 63mph. When I tried to use 6th gear, the rpms were too low and I couldn't maintain speed. If I travelled in 6th gear at 74mph, the rpms were high enough to maintain that speed, but I was not comfortable towing that fast. When I did the math I was considering the benefit of going from 3.73 to 4.1. I figured it would put the rpms just where I needed it to effectively use 6th gear while towing about 67mph.
I now tow with a Toyota Tundra 5.7L and i can drag the trailer around at 75mph and it doesn't even feel like I'm towing anything.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:00 PM
JK Newbie

I can relate to the, "...it doesn't even fee like I'm towing anything..." comment. I have a 2014 GMC Duramax Denali 2500 crew cab 4x4. I'm considering selling it because I rarely use it and it's going down in value. BUT, it can tow nearly anything and I can't feel a thing, certainly not my boat .
Old 06-11-2020, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
The 2 door is not rated for 3500 pounds, only the 4 door is rated for that. The 2 door is only rated for 2000 pounds. Don't take my advice, but I'd be fine towing 3500 pounds locally with a 2-door if and only if the trailer had brakes and the Jeep had a brake controller. I've towed 5000 pounds with my 4-door. I took all safety precautions.

Old thread but the owner's manual says a 2-door w/ 3.73s can tow 3500 lbs. I had big concerns about my Willys towing a 1500lb Geo Pro RK12 so I checked with every source under the sun to make sure I was doing it safely. I added a electronic brake controller and anti-sway and it's been fine.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:17 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 08RescueGreen
Old thread but the owner's manual says a 2-door w/ 3.73s can tow 3500 lbs. I had big concerns about my Willys towing a 1500lb Geo Pro RK12 so I checked with every source under the sun to make sure I was doing it safely. I added a electronic brake controller and anti-sway and it's been fine.
On the 2-dr, I forget when the documentation change happened but certainly in 2012 all US documentation said 2500 pounds. A few years later they changed to 3500, even though there were no design changes.

Quick Reply: Can I tow a Camper with my JK?