Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can the trailer software be added on my 2014?

Old 06-28-2014, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can the trailer software be added on my 2014?

I have a 2014 Willys Wheeler with the 3.73 gears and no factory towing package.

I want to add the Rugged Ridge hitch assembly and 7 pin round male plug to match my 4x8 1000 lb GVW utility trailer that I use for kids ATV and dirt bike hauling.

If I go to the dealer, can I get that trailer sway control software added, or is it only supplied at the factory level off you paid for the trailer package?
Old 06-28-2014, 11:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by larry0071
I have a 2014 Willys Wheeler with the 3.73 gears and no factory towing package. I want to add the Rugged Ridge hitch assembly and 7 pin round male plug to match my 4x8 1000 lb GVW utility trailer that I use for kids ATV and dirt bike hauling. If I go to the dealer, can I get that trailer sway control software added, or is it only supplied at the factory level off you paid for the trailer package?
I'm probably completely wrong,but I though the "sway control" was just a feature of the Jeeps stability control. Right? Wrong?

Either way, my 12 didn't have tow package, so I bought a hitch from Quadratec and harness from them too. Pull a 1800lb max trailer that is 4x8 quite a bit and I pull a BassCat Jaguar every weekend. My jeep has 35's and 3.73's. It's a struggle with the boat at 70mph but it is fine at slower speeds. Even in crosswinds it's pretty stable. Only thing is suggest is trailer brakes. Real ones, not inertia brakes.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

My understanding from threads I followed 2 yrs ago is that the anti sway software can only be configured in the factory when the jeep is being built. Having said that, I don't think you will need it if you load the trailer properly. More weight in front of the axle and less behind the axle. I also agree with "real" trailer brakes. My 3500 pound toyhauler has dual axle trailer brakes and I am very pleased with how it tows and stops.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

When I was checking into the purchase of my JKUR, I specifically asked about the tow package software.
What the sales guy told me was that the algorithm for the towing stability control was essentially the opposite of that used without a trailer. It sorta makes sense when you think about it because a trailer that's getting away from you will push the vehicle in a way that is different from if you were just losing traction. But what I can't figure out is how the computer would know that it's a trailer traction control situation versus just losing it with no trailer.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand Umpah
When I was checking into the purchase of my JKUR, I specifically asked about the tow package software. What the sales guy told me was that the algorithm for the towing stability control was essentially the opposite of that used without a trailer. It sorta makes sense when you think about it because a trailer that's getting away from you will push the vehicle in a way that is different from if you were just losing traction. But what I can't figure out is how the computer would know that it's a trailer traction control situation versus just losing it with no trailer.
Probably the same way that a Jeep knows when the hard top is off and a soft is in it's place and it lowers the power to the rear speakers! ROTFLMAO !!! Sorry couldn't resist.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you connect the lights, the change in resistance on the brake like circuit could be used to indicate a change.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I got the Rugged Ridge frame hitch and wire harness installed yesterday. It was a 30 minute job, very easy and perfect fit and it was only $60 from Amazon. Next weekend we go camping, that will be the first time pulling the little 4x8 trailer.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

my 07 had the antisway stuff and by 14 does not. I noticed a difference then I stopped and redid my trailer load, an atv and various items, and it traveled just fine. I wouldn't worry
Old 07-10-2014, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just to keep in mind you want to distribute your load so that 30% of the weight is on the tongue of the trailer. That will eliminate sway!
Old 07-10-2014, 07:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_c
Just to keep in mind you want to distribute your load so that 30% of the weight is on the tongue of the trailer. That will eliminate sway!
Huh? Can yo be more clear? In my experience, you need more weight in front of the trailer axle than you have behind the trailer axle. Not sure how your 30% number jives with this.

Quick Reply: Can the trailer software be added on my 2014?