Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Change oil filter without draining oil?

Old 07-13-2009, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change oil filter without draining oil?

Like a lot of you, I recently noticed a grinding or knocking or whatever you call it at start-up due to a bad oil filter (at least I'm hoping that's the reason). I'm going to replace my current oil filter (Fram Extra Guard) to a Fram Tough Guard or Motorcraft (I've heard nothing but good things about both).

Anyway - can I switch oil filters without draining the oil? I know this is possible on some vehicles, just curious if anyone has proof I can do this without leaking oil everywhere with the JK. I just changed my oil two weeks ago and would prefer to not drain it all out again.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you wait for 20 minutes after shutoff then remove the filter, only filter oil and a little residual will drain out, just be sure you're oil pan is right under, then, wipe the front axle after

I use K&N gold #1002, they have a 1"HEX END so take off is easy and try to keep the filter tilted, during removal so the least oil drips out

JIMBO
Old 07-13-2009, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

I've done it quite a few times recently, in my quest to eliminate the start up knock. If your ADBV is bad (as mine were) there will be little to no oil in there
Old 07-13-2009, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

^^ what he said.

when i changed from the k&n oil filter which was bad, 3 drops came out of it. when i change my oil now, i get a lot more.

if you had skill you could just refill the new filter you are putting on (i do not have that skill and oil goes everywhere)

and then just check your oil level and add whatever came out
Old 07-13-2009, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can completely screw with you engine and jerry rig a pipe bend system so that the oil filter hangs upright from the mounting hole but I'm sure you will void your warranty. Just bring some paper towels.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like it's possible... thanks for the input! Hopefully this will eliminate my start-up noise and I won't cause another Exxon Valdez incident in my drive way!

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2009, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paramaniac
I've done it quite a few times recently, in my quest to eliminate the start up knock. If your ADBV is bad (as mine were) there will be little to no oil in there
In my other Jeeps I always used different brands of filters (usually Purolator). I used the Mopar one in the JK in case there was a warranty problem and when I took it off it was so full of oil that it was impossible not to spill out. I guess the ADBV was working good on that one!

Trending Topics

Old 07-25-2009, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

As an update, I switched filters a couple weeks ago and managed to only spill a little bit of oil in the process. The "knock/grid" has only happened once since switching, and that was the day after changing filters... here's to wishful thinking!
Old 07-25-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've switched to motorcraft and the start up knock happened less frequently. A couple months ago I noticed that whenever I left the a/c or defrosters on the knock would still happen on startup, but only when the JEEP has sat for an extended time. Since I started turning off the a/c the start up knock has stopped completely.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:16 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by txtrav
Like a lot of you, I recently noticed a grinding or knocking or whatever you call it at start-up due to a bad oil filter (at least I'm hoping that's the reason). I'm going to replace my current oil filter (Fram Extra Guard) to a Fram Tough Guard or Motorcraft (I've heard nothing but good things about both).

Anyway - can I switch oil filters without draining the oil? I know this is possible on some vehicles, just curious if anyone has proof I can do this without leaking oil everywhere with the JK. I just changed my oil two weeks ago and would prefer to not drain it all out again.

Thanks!

You will be fine. A couple days after I went with the Mobile 1 filter I swapped it out with no issues. The ADV is so bad on it virtually no oil was lost in the transfer.

Quick Reply: Change oil filter without draining oil?