Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Check engine light at 1100 miles

Old 03-13-2012, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light at 1100 miles

Hey guys. Haven't had a chance to bring it to the dealer but a check engine malfunction light popped on. Checked the manual and it said it could be a loose gas cap or some other malfunction. Not very helpful. I checked the oil, looks fine. The jeep is running fine. Not sure what it could be esp since its so new. Kinda worried I may have gotten a lemon.

Jeep is 2012 Sahara jku. 6 speed manual. Any suggestion or things to check out would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

One more thing it's a solid check engine light. Not blinking.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zoranz
One more thing it's a solid check engine light. Not blinking.
Take it to the nearest autoparts store and have them read the code. Most places do this for free.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thedrod
Take it to the nearest autoparts store and have them read the code. Most places do this for free.
You can also read the code through the evic, if you dont have the evic you can flick the key 3 times between off and run and leave it in run the 3rd time.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:42 PM
JK Newbie

My 2012 did the same thing. The light came on at about 1000 miles. Then went out, then came back on. Took it to the dealer and they said it was showing a code for the power door locks. It came back on within the next 200 miles. It went out, then came back on, again and again. Went back to the dealer and it should a code indicating a problem with the fuel system, possibly caused by the oxygen sensor. I left the dealership and it came back on within 200 miles. Then off, then on again. I bought the Gibson dual cat-back exhaust system a week later. Since I installed the exhaust I haven't had another check engine light. Could be a coincidence, but I don't think so.

Quick Reply: Check engine light at 1100 miles