Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cleaning ideas for mildew smell?

Old 09-29-2010, 03:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Febreeeeeeeeze!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by o09jkny
Febreeeeeeeeze!!!
Yea.
After the rain got to my carpet from leaving the windows open, and I decided to just soak up the water with a towel, then use a vacuum and not remove the carpet, I got the smell about two weeks later. Used Febreeeeeeeeze, and continued until one day I got in and my floor felt a bit weird. pulled the carpet and found nothing but layer after layer of rust. After pulling all the rust out, I found a big hole where the floorpan used to be. Ended up having to pull out the carpet and replace the floorpan.
Take that carpet out, dry it in the sun and and clean the moisture off the floorpan now, or just mask the smell with baking powder, Febreeeeeeze or some other smell good stuff, then remove the carpet to replace the floorpan a couple years down the road.
Your Choice.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by o09jkny
Febreeeeeeeeze!!!
Yea.
After the rain got to my carpet from leaving the windows open on my brand new 94XJ back in 96 and I decided to just soak up the water with a towel, then use a vacuum and not remove the carpet, I got the smell about two weeks later. Used Febreeeeeeeeze, and continued until one day I got in and my floor felt a bit weird. pulled the carpet and found nothing but layer after layer of rust. After pulling all the rust out, I found a big hole where the floorpan used to be. Ended up having to pull out the carpet and replace the floorpan.
Take that carpet out, dry it in the sun and and clean the moisture off the floorpan now, or just mask the smell with baking powder, Febreeeeeeze or some other smell good stuff, then remove the carpet to replace the floorpan a couple years down the road.
Your Choice.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could always try and overpower the smell with an odor of your own. Try hanging some dirty undies or yellow sweaty workout shirts from your roll cage. While driving- the wind will whip out the odiferous constituents of your soiled clothing, and replace the mildew smell in your rig.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mopar liners or line x are the way to go..ive only had to take my liners out once to wipe water out..most of the time it doesnt get underneath, and believe me i check..next nice day im gonna take em out (before winter!!!) and make sure theres no water from the rain lately, and wax it down..still looking brand new!

Quick Reply: Cleaning ideas for mildew smell?