Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cloudy headlights

Old 01-24-2008, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cloudy headlights

Just wondering if anyone has had problems with the headlights looking cloudy inside. If so, what did you do to clean them? Thanks...
Old 01-24-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't had or seen of that problem at least here in Ca., I suppose if you are in extremely cold weather then this could happen? I would immagine that after the lights have been on for a while then they should clear up?
Probably just another Jeep anomoly!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Junkie

I think I read something about it somewhere. It might have been a TSB.

If it's just cloudy, jeep is calling it normal. Basically it's just a little condensation, but I know it would drive me off the wall if I had a new headlight that looked like that.

If there's actual water in the head lamp, it's possible you have a faulty or cracked lamp.

Maybe you can try to see if your dealership will replace it? Otherwise, just turning the lights on will clear it up temporarily (I have to wonder if it makes lights die quicker though.)

Just want to know: Have you driven through water???
Old 01-24-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies. My Jeep is a 08 2 door X. It was bought in December, and no, it hasn't been driven in water. I did replace the factory bulbs with the Sylvania ones that have been talked about on here about 3 week ago. They don"t seem to ever clear up, even after having the lights on for a good while. I did find a TSB on it, but it was for the early 07's.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:01 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ncgrl1
Thanks for the replies. My Jeep is a 08 2 door X. It was bought in December, and no, it hasn't been driven in water. I did replace the factory bulbs with the Sylvania ones that have been talked about on here about 3 week ago. They don"t seem to ever clear up, even after having the lights on for a good while. I did find a TSB on it, but it was for the early 07's.
Now that you mentioned the sylvanias, I'm wondering if they have something to do with that. My explorer was 8 years old when I needed new bulbs. For years, the head lamps were clear as can be. I got silver stars though, and a month later it started fogging

Maybe the seals on the sylvanias are crappy? All I know is I tried everything to dry out the damn things. I pulled the lights off and used a blow dryer for 30 minutes. I used paper towels. I used silica gel beads. nothing. It would go away for a few days and come right back, progressively worse
Old 01-24-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have a perfect finger print on the inside of one of my lights it drives me crazy
Old 01-24-2008, 08:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just drill em like the mirror mod, water will run right out
Old 01-24-2008, 09:06 PM
JK Freak

Put the F...in strobes in, you'l never see any fog/condensation.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:42 PM
JK Newbie

I put silverstars in my fogs and headlight the day i bought the jeep. Had it about 6 months now and no problems. Every now and then they look foggy but mostly right after i wash it but after the lights burn a few mins it goes away. I hope over time this does not cause any problems and it sucks they havent made any aftermarket parking or corner lights also
Old 01-25-2008, 05:31 AM
JK Junkie

Is the fog condensation or has the plastic started to discolor and fog? Are Silverstars hotter than factor bulbs?

Quick Reply: cloudy headlights