Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

clunk noise after reversing

Old 05-20-2012, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunk noise after reversing

I have a 2008 jku x with about 46,000 miles on it. every tinge I put it into reverse and back up I come to a complete stop, put it into drive, and as soon as I move forward I here a clunk noise outside on the driverside. I don't think it is supposed to do that. Any ideas before I bring it in to the stealership?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:04 PM
JK Freak

bump same issues. looking for answers. my dealer is the worst, always writes: could not duplicate issue. it literally makes you want to scratch your eyeballs out, and also fix it, if at all possible yourself.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:21 AM
JK Super Freak

MY 08 was doing the same thing. I assumed it was brakes or suspension problem not something internal as the drive shaft is fine. I redid the brakes and checked suspension stuff tightened everything and the problem did not go away. I even had replaced the calipers as there was some sticking. So I just lived with it.

Long story short the rear brakes wore out again and this time the rotors were shot after taking the rotors off and getting all the crap that had built up on the parking brake pads and getting that stuff all readjusted guess what the noise was gone.

In my case I determined it was a combination of corrosion inside the parking brake system along with bits of mud and accumulated stuff that had worked itself inside the inner drum from trails.

Mine no longer does it, so I suggest pulling the complete brake system in the rear apart and cleaning and adjusting the parking breaks.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

what was the outcome?
Old 10-20-2020, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

Check the backlash in your diff, driveshaft u-joints, rear transmission mount for loose. Use a prybar to move these things around. Better still chock the Jeep so it cannot move then have someone kneel down along side the Jeep (but not where they would get runover in accident) and look under at the above components to view what they do when you go from R to D. Is your engine idle down low ?

Quick Reply: clunk noise after reversing