Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Coasting in Neutral Damage?

Old 04-05-2011, 11:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not recommend coasting in Neutral....you won't damage your tranny....

BUT the biggest issue is if you require to complete an emergency maneuver your are basically boned if you need to hit the throttle quickly & avoid an obsticle or vehicle in quick fashion!
Old 04-05-2011, 12:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Now I find out this information I overshot neutral last winter trying to engage 4WD. I wasn't going very fast and I was on ice. But it didn't sound very good.
You overshot transmission neutral without pressing the button?
Old 04-05-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nikbass

Yeah, that won't happen and not just because Mythbusters tried it.
Well one time I was really beating on a pt cruiser rental on my drive back to return it, keeping it floored while going repeatedly from neutral to drive (neutral bombs). I was just messing around and at one point WHOOPS somehow it accidentally slipped it all the way to park while I was going about 15mph. The pt screeched to a stop. And I stopped doing that stupid stuff and returned the rental, thankful that no obvious damage was done.

Anyway, I say it CAN happen...

Quick Reply: Coasting in Neutral Damage?