Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Coming on eleven years of original ownership

Old 12-15-2018, 03:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

2011 bought new. 22,000 miles. No problems. Changed battery at 6 years.

The following users liked this post:
jackB (05-30-2019)
Old 12-15-2018, 05:16 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

I'm going to cheat a little... Didn't get our 2008 new, but it was close. It had the dual-top option, and the soft-top was still inside the hard top in the shipping position, even smelled new. Only 10K on the clock when I bought it, and has about 107K now. It' been great, lots of fun memories, and not planning to sell it. Still tracks straight down the road, no rattles, and runs good.

Lots of preventative/scheduled maintenance, but the worst actual failure was when the clutch started making bad noises 1K miles from home in Death Valley. It wasn't the release bearing, it was the clutch disc center (with the springs) that became loose as a goose. Nursed it back home to replace it (thanx to Kris for following us for backup). The other failure I remember was a bad spark plug wire that let itself be known going through some water, an easy fix though. On my third windshield, it isn't swept back enough for a rock to just glance off. The shocks have been replaced once (not counting the first change with the 2" OME lift). The fuel tank was replaced under recall for the spit back during fueling (RonJenx's post reminded me of that). Pretty good reliability, especially considering the off road use.

Other than the clutch, the whole drivetrain has been trouble free. It still has all the original cooling system components (radiator, heater, pump, etc.), ball joints, steering parts, alternator, brake calipers, driveshafts, CV joints, axles and u-joints.

Last edited by Mr.T; 12-15-2018 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Added fuel tank recall
Old 12-15-2018, 07:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Will have had mine 11 years in February. Had two warranty repairs early on, (porous timing chain cover, and fuel spit-back issue).
Other than that , it's been trouble free for 177,000 miles.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2007 Sahara JKU...bought it used in 2008. Was mad at it for awhile until I figured out the oil leak was the pan gasket and not a main or chain cover...lol. My 17 year old drives it now and we upgraded to a 15 Rubicon .
I expect to keep the 07 at least until our 10 year old doesn't want it anymore.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuel tank was replaced under recall for the spit back during fueling (RonJenx's post reminded me of that).

Can you tell me more about this issue?
Old 01-08-2019, 12:49 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by NUB_01
The fuel tank was replaced under recall for the spit back during fueling (RonJenx's post reminded me of that).

Can you tell me more about this issue?
While filling up with gasoline, when the tank was within a couple gallons of being full it would burp out a significant amount of gasoline.
The following users liked this post:
NUB_01 (01-09-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am the original owner of my 2008 JK Unlimited. I have around 76,000 miles. In year 3 I had to replace the TIPM, my fan would stay on high-speed all the time, even at start up. The TIPM was an easy DIY project, but pricey at $350, I think. At year 6 I had to replace the rear wheel speed sensors. That was a cheep and easy DIY project. I noticed over the last two years that the Jeep had been burning oil. I just completed my 10 year inspection. According to the dealer, I had: two cracked exhaust manifolds, a bad water pump, a leaking oil pan gasket, and a leaking radiator. While working on the exhaust manifolds they broke off a bolt in one of the cylinder heads. They couldn't get the broken bolt out so I had to wait to weeks for them to send it out to be refurbished. Everything but the radiator was fixed under warranty. I'll teach my kids how to replace the radiator this spring. The leak is minimal. I don't know what the labor would have added up to but the parts bill was almost $1400. I am super glad I have the lifetime warranty.

I have had an on going issue with the Jeep not starting, every once in a while. I have replaced the neutral sensor (Its an Automatic), battery, Alternator and starter solenoid's. nothing has helped. Of course when I took it to the dealer the issue couldn't reproduce.Thankfully it only happens once or twice a month. I just turn the key off for 2-3 minutes and then it fires up. Any ideas?

Last edited by bryan1560; 02-13-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

Hello all. Kinda newish here, been on the site twice in 6 years �� I took delivery of my 2009 JKU Sahara 1/8/2010. It currently sits around 88,100. So far issues I've had are clock spring recall after I had the original repaired u set warranty, brakes brakes and more brakes, and calipers replaced more than once on rear. I finally had enough with stock and replaced with an upgraded set. I believe the booster is next. Had an axle seal replaced under the drivetrain warranty about 5k ago while I had it in for an oil change. All the rest is just routine.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bryan1560
I have had an on going issue with the Jeep not starting, every once in a while. I have replaced the neutral sensor (Its an Automatic), battery, Alternator and starter solenoid's. nothing has helped. Of course when I took it to the dealer the issue couldn't reproduce.Thankfully it only happens once or twice a month. I just turn the key off for 2-3 minutes and then it fires up. Any ideas?
I've seen that issue on other vehicles (assuming you mean not cranking as in starter won't work) that were bad connection on battery ground. Could be anything from loose connection to where ground cable connects to corrosion in the cable itself. A voltage drop test could prove or disprove when it's acting up.

Last edited by DaButcher; 03-03-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Bought my 2011 in January of that year, and have been very pleased. Honestly one of the most trouble free vehicles I've owned (knock on wood). Its got 123,000 miles now and the only thing I've done outside of preventive maintenance is replace the power steering pump. Had a very slight leak but wasn't giving any trouble to speak of. Hopefully I'll get many more miles of fun!

Quick Reply: Coming on eleven years of original ownership