Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Coming up on three years, should I replace my battery?

Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd get another. My factory one lasted less than 2yrs. No warning, just crapped out. IMO if you've had the factory one for over 3yrs, you've done damn good.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, looks like Ill go ahead and replace.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Ok, looks like Ill go ahead and replace.
Are you having any problems with your battery? Why would you replace it if there is nothing wrong with it?
I have a 2006 Ford and still have the stock battery in it without problems. Even when the battery goes out or starts acting up you can jump start it and get to where you need to go as long as you dont shut the motor off.
I would never replace a battery before it was bad, this makes no sense.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by metro7100
Are you having any problems with your battery? Why would you replace it if there is nothing wrong with it?
I have a 2006 Ford and still have the stock battery in it without problems. Even when the battery goes out or starts acting up you can jump start it and get to where you need to go as long as you dont shut the motor off.
I would never replace a battery before it was bad, this makes no sense.
X-2 ^
Old 11-15-2010, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MagnumD69
It's not worth getting stranded somewhere and the battery will crap out with little to no warning.
That's exactly what happened to me. I was stranded in the desert during a 7.2 earthquake with the canyon walls falling in on us. I’d done a lot of winching the previous weekend and ended up frying my battery so jumping it wouldn't work. Needless to say it was a very long day. At a minimum I would get it tested, and if you are using lots of accessories it wouldn't hurt to upgrade it.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:21 AM
JK Freak

I heard too many stories of the batteries dying after 3 years. I added a bunch of lights to mine so I figured I should replace the OEM battery. I'm a bit rural so to have the battery die anywhere is not good, why take the extra risk.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:02 AM
JK Freak

Ah, yet another advantage of having a standard tranny.....bump starts! They'll get you to shop to buy your new battery.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm about to start the 4th Canadian winter on my stock battery and I haven't had any issue yet. Mind you I will probably be carrying a boost pack with me, just because I happen to already have one.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Octo
I'm about to start the 4th Canadian winter on my stock battery and I haven't had any issue yet. Mind you I will probably be carrying a boost pack with me, just because I happen to already have one.
Got my rig in Oct 2006...OEM battery lasted until this last summer.....died out on the trail....was able to jump it, but after that, it died esaily....I would think about getting a new one...
Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JulianK
Ah, yet another advantage of having a standard tranny.....bump starts! They'll get you to shop to buy your new battery.
Not in my case. The battery cells actually fused together causing it to short out and kill the Jeep. I thought we could do it like the old days and jump it, disconnect the battery and drive out on the alternator. Turns out you can't do that with the JK, it will run for about 3 minutes and then the computer shuts it down.

Quick Reply: Coming up on three years, should I replace my battery?