Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Confused about gear oil

Old 05-05-2012, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Confused about gear oil

I have a 2012 JKU with manual trans, 3:73 rear, with open differentials. I want to put the higher viscosity synthetic gear oil in the rear as recommended by jeep because I tow my toy hauler with the jeep. The royal purple says it is good with limited slip without the addition of the limited slip additive. So here is my question, if it says a limited slip additive is not needed when used in a limited slip rear, do I need to be concerned using this fluid in my open diff rear?
Old 05-05-2012, 06:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No its ok. Royal purple is a good oil
Old 05-05-2012, 06:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Lots of synthetic gear oils that say no need for the additive in a limited slip, work just fine in an open differential.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing to be confused about, I just got through replacing my diff covers and fluid. As I normally do, I over researched. I ended up using Mobil 1 75w-140 (mixed with some dino 85w because I ran out of the Mobil 1). This study, sponsored by Amsoil, was an interesting read (http://www.freeoilhelp.com/product_info/g2457.pdf) and consistently scored Royal Purple very low, it was enough to make me want to choose another brand. Also noted was how well Mopar fluid did.

Quick Reply: Confused about gear oil