Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Considering OE JKU Rubi tire swap to help with mileage

Old 05-08-2012, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering OE JKU Rubi tire swap to help with mileage

I am considering pulling off the OE BFG MTs and installing a similar sized less aggressive tire. Perhaps an A/T tire.

Has anyone else done this? If so did you notice any increase in mpg on the highway?

At present I average 16.2 combined and 17 highway. I know I did not buy the JKU for the mileage however if swapping to a slightly less aggro tire gives me an extra mpg or so I would be willing to do it.

Also, any suggestions on which A/T tire to consider? Not sure I want to go with the OEM tire on the Sport.

Last edited by hypractv; 05-08-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hypractv
I am considering pulling off the OE BFG MTs and installing a similar sized less aggressive tire. Perhaps an A/T tire.

Has anyone else done this? If so did you notice any increase in mpg on the highway?

At present I average 16.2 combined and 17 highway. I know I did not buy the JKU for the mileage however if swapping to a slightly less aggro tire gives me an extra mpg or so I would be willing to do it.
it's not your tires. it's your gears in the Rubi.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:16 PM
JK Freak

I recall one of the mags doing an article on this topic last year. You can probably find it still on line. Sorry that I dont remember which one but I get them all. I do recall that the spead was like 2-5 mpg depending on tire.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

If it does help, it would have to be a big increase to offset the cost of 5 tires + mounting and balancing . I doubt it would be worth it unless you need new tires anyway ...
Old 05-08-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greggnj
If it does help, it would have to be a big increase to offset the cost of 5 tires + mounting and balancing . I doubt it would be worth it unless you need new tires anyway ...
My tires have 5500 miles on them. Close enough to new to offset the cost. A buddy of mine owns his own shop so mount and balance is free. I love the capability of my Rubicon otherwise I would have ordered a Sport.

I do not drive my JK that often, however, when I travel to bike races the low mileage adds up fast. If I can increase by 2/3mpg I should be able to recoup even minimal costs quickly.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grant.UNT
it's not your tires. it's your gears in the Rubi.
Very well could be. Mine was built with the 4.10s. Is the drop that dramatic from the 3.73s that would have been in there otherwise?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

FWIW... 2010 2dr, 3.21 gears, 6 speed, Michelin Lattitude Tour tires.

Consistently 21 in town, 23 highway.

Did a 325 mile drive on Saturday that netted 23.3.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Otbiker
FWIW... 2010 2dr, 3.21 gears, 6 speed, Michelin Lattitude Tour tires.

Consistently 21 in town, 23 highway.

Did a 325 mile drive on Saturday that netted 23.3.
Thanks for the input. Although the 2 door w/ 3.21 gears is a totally different animal compared to the 2012 JKU with 4.10s, Pentastar and 5 Speed auto.

My good buddy has the same setup as you and he nets about the same mpg.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hypractv

I have a 2012 sport with the Goodyear SRA's on it. There are about 3500 miles on them. I'd be willing to swap if we met 1/2 way..
Old 05-08-2012, 06:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa!!! You're going to tear a hole in the space time continum if you swap those mud tires!!

Quick Reply: Considering OE JKU Rubi tire swap to help with mileage