Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Coolant leak woes - what else could it be?

Old 06-27-2020, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak woes - what else could it be?

2017 JKU sport. Completely stock, 39k miles.

starting to smell coolant after even 15-20 min drives after getting out. Never while driving really. Needle always stays dead center of temp gauge once it hits operating temp. No matter how hot it gets here in Texas.

did some searching and found to look under radiator, and at the bleed screw on there housing. No residue anywhere. No visible damage to radiator.

opened coolant tank and it was almost empty when cold. Still a little but not much.

so I’m guessing I likely have a leak somewhere in the radiator. Small and maybe burning off quickly. Thoughts? Anything else I should look for?

if I replace the radiator what should I also do while I’m in there for peace of mind that’s not too much? Hoses for sure. Keep overflow tank but replace hoses on that? Replace thermostat (and housing?)? A few bucks now to not tear it down and waste more on coolant a few times seems ideal.

(also it appears for 2017 I need the genuine “purple” coolant, that can also look orange or pink?)

Old 06-28-2020, 04:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Take a look at the pictures in this thread. Pictures of my old radiator are post #24 -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...eplace-345286/

What you're noticing is a pretty common thing. I had same general symptoms.

- having to top of resivoir regularly
- catch whiff of coolant but never see any dropping on floor
- no overheating
- radiator pressure tested fine overnight

Common to get pinhole leaks on these radiators and the coolant just burns off before it can accumulate and drop to the ground. If you change the radiator, I'd change the thermostat at the very least since the system is open, and the coolant temp sensor; although, you can swap out that coolant temp sensor and only lose 1/2c of coolant in the process so it's not a huge deal to do on its own if there is an issue in the future.

Mopar OAT coolant has a purple additive. In a clear glass or bottle you'll see it as purple. Opening the radiator cap and looking in it will usually look like a dirty orange. Don't go by color though. Just get some Mopar OAT. The bottle will say 10yr/150k miles. You definitely don't want to mix this stuff with others. I think my dealer sells this ~$23/gallon for the concentrate which isn't terrible. I usually keep some on hand in the garage and in my trail fluid stash as well.

The overwhelming general consensus is another factory radiator is your best bet.

Not sure what part of town you're in. I'm on the west side of Fort Worth, just outside the 820 loop.

Last edited by resharp001; 06-28-2020 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks. I'm ordering the works to be safe. OEM radiator, new hoses & clamps, new reservoir tank, new therm/housing, new radiator cap, and a couple gallons of concentrate OAT. Just around $500 when all is said and done - not too bad for a DIY and a pretty full overhaul.

I'm a bit far (McKinney)or I'd offer some beer in exchange for you to watch and make sure I do it right. It's been years since I wrenched and mainly on speed, not utility.

Originally Posted by resharp001
Take a look at the pictures in this thread. Pictures of my old radiator are post #24 -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...eplace-345286/

What you're noticing is a pretty common thing. I had same general symptoms.

- having to top of resivoir regularly
- catch whiff of coolant but never see any dropping on floor
- no overheating
- radiator pressure tested fine overnight

Common to get pinhole leaks on these radiators and the coolant just burns off before it can accumulate and drop to the ground. If you change the radiator, I'd change the thermostat at the very least since the system is open, and the coolant temp sensor; although, you can swap out that coolant temp sensor and only lose 1/2c of coolant in the process so it's not a huge deal to do on its own if there is an issue in the future.

Mopar OAT coolant has a purple additive. In a clear glass or bottle you'll see it as purple. Opening the radiator cap and looking in it will usually look like a dirty orange. Don't go by color though. Just get some Mopar OAT. The bottle will say 10yr/150k miles. You definitely don't want to mix this stuff with others. I think my dealer sells this ~$23/gallon for the concentrate which isn't terrible. I usually keep some on hand in the garage and in my trail fluid stash as well.

The overwhelming general consensus is another factory radiator is your best bet.

Not sure what part of town you're in. I'm on the west side of Fort Worth, just outside the 820 loop.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is this common on the older models as well, as in a 13? My wife's Sahara has the same symptoms, faint smell of coolant after driving but no leaks noticeable anywhere. Her jeep only has 90k on it
Old 06-29-2020, 01:03 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Robz
is this common on the older models as well, as in a 13? My wife's Sahara has the same symptoms, faint smell of coolant after driving but no leaks noticeable anywhere. Her jeep only has 90k on it
I'd say this is pretty common across the years. Mine was '13 with I think 65-70k miles at the time.....and I had those symptoms a good bit of time before replacing in summer of '18.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

Well I replaced the radiator, hoses & clamps, thermostat/housing, even the expansion tank and hose. I’ve refilled with coolant/distilled, bled the air from the thermostat, and filled the radiator while running the heat on high until it started to overflow.

now when driving the coolant temp never crosses around 210/212 before it starts cooling back down and the temp gauge stays dead center.

so it seems things are working. The issue now is I still smell coolant.

now my hope is this is residual of spillage during the work as a decent amount did spill from hoses and radiator fill when getting air out. But part of me is concerned my issue was something else.

still no visible leak. And smell after driving. Radiator and thermostat removed did not appear to be damaged nor pink anywhere.

What do ya think? Is it likely my spilling or do I probably still have a problem?
Old 07-05-2020, 05:53 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I see you inquiring on an intake manifold leak thread. That was extremely common on the 3.8L, but not on the 3.6L, much less with as low miles as you have. I'd probably double-check the radiator is topped off some morning when cool, get that reservoir to the fill line, and monitor over a couple weeks to see if the level declines any. Did you notice any leak on the old radiator once you had it out?

The only other real culprit that we have is the heater core, but I can't fathom that is your issue due to again, that very low mileage and age.

Last edited by resharp001; 07-05-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for replying. Yes I’m in a ‘17 sport. 39k miles.

so when cool open the radiator cap and fill that to the top, close it, and fill the overflow to max cold line? Would low (or even just not full) coolant cause a smell to occur? Just seems odd.

I see you inquiring on an intake manifold leak thread. That was extremely common on the 3.8L, but not on the 3.6L, much less with as low miles as you have. I'd probably double-check the radiator is topped off some morning when cool, get that reservoir to the fill line, and monitor over a couple weeks to see if the level declines any. Did you notice any leak on the old radiator once you had it out?
Old 07-05-2020, 06:02 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

no, that wouldn't cause a smell, i'm just suggesting double check the levels are full so you can monitor for a loss of coolant indicating there is indeed an issue.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Ah that makes sense.

it’s really bugging me and while I hope it’s leftover from spillage something tells me it’s not. I am considering taking to the dealer and “accusing” the intake gasket in hopes it’s a free diag and even free repair. I’ll do your thing first and give it a few weeks. I don’t drive much now but when I do have to back into the office I’ll need this to be reliable.

no, that wouldn't cause a smell, i'm just suggesting double check the levels are full so you can monitor for a loss of coolant indicating there is indeed an issue.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak woes - what else could it be?