Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Coolant puddle

Old 11-12-2017, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Coolant puddle

My 08 JKU hasn't moved since wednesday(3 days). It has had a small occasional drop on the lower driver side of the radiator for several months but I've never pinpointed the exact location of the leak. I've watched over the last couple days as the wet spot underneath has grown. I understand that things expand and contract with varying temps and it has gotten substantially cooler this week along with not running the jeep at all. Today I had a few moments took inspect under the hood. I noticed moisture under the thermostat housing and a bit of moisture on the front of the block under the intake. The water pump area as well as the manifold gasket areas are very dry. So I can identify that the thermostat needs replaced. But what about the drip under the rad? The hoses feel dry. I can barely see any moisture along the edges of the tank and fins about 2 inches up. I know these plastic meets aluminum rads are prone to separate but I guess I'm wondering if the failed thermostat could possibly cause a drip at the radiator...i intend to change the thermostat and pressure test on Tuesday. Just looking for some forum fore sight until then. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Change your radiator. I have an 08 JKU also and am on my 3rd. Not a hard job to do. Good luck
Old 11-12-2017, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MTNBKR
Change your radiator. I have an 08 JKU also and am on my 3rd. Not a hard job to do. Good luck
Yeah I've been avoiding that option as you may have noticed. Ha. Relatively inexpensive and not too difficult. But just looks like a pain in the A! Thanks man.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

The only way to be certain where your leaks are coming from is to use a pressure tester.

I purchased the HF pressure tester and it was well worth the $75 I spent, since I spent months guessing.

These are the adapters you would use for our JKs.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
The only way to be certain where your leaks are coming from is to use a pressure tester.

I purchased the HF pressure tester and it was well worth the $75 I spent, since I spent months guessing.

These are the adapters you would use for our JKs.
Same here regarding the guessing game...I pressure tested it today and laughed my ass off at the downpour coming from the radiator. I mean it was spraying out. The leak is on the top, front driver's side. Under the dust cover. I'll be replacing the rad next week. Ha.
P.S. Not a single drop came out of the thermostat housing while under pressure. Yet it was soaked while sitting idle for 3 days. 🤔
Old 11-14-2017, 10:48 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

After installing a new radiator (no problem with the OEM one at 180K miles, but was headed above Arctic Circle and didn't want to learn up there I needed a new radiator!), I had an occasional problem with coolant ending up on the radiator fans. Making a long troubleshooting story short, it turned out to be the seal on the new thermostat was slightly curled out of correct position, and when driving the leaking coolant got whipped over to the radiator fins. Recommend fix the thermostat first and see if that takes care of things. If your radiator is approaching 200K miles, recommend replace it before going on any trips above the Arctic Circle. ;-)
Old 11-15-2017, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by lonesometree
Same here regarding the guessing game...I pressure tested it today and laughed my ass off at the downpour coming from the radiator. I mean it was spraying out. The leak is on the top, front driver's side. Under the dust cover. I'll be replacing the rad next week. Ha.
P.S. Not a single drop came out of the thermostat housing while under pressure. Yet it was soaked while sitting idle for 3 days. 🤔
Something I learned because I actually had 2 separate leaks. I had the same radiator end cap leak as you, found using pressure tester. It took me 120K miles for me to get there, so no complaints.

It was a mystery for awhile where I noticed my coolant kept getting low over time, where I ended up having a lower intake manifold gasket leak as well. I was not able to find this leak using the pressure tester. My thought on this, is that while pressure testing the engine is cold and therefore things weren't expanded and therefore no leak but as the engine warmed up, then things expanded and then that's when it would leak.

Just something to keep your eye on, so you can learn from my experience. I eventually found my lower intake manifold gasket leak when one day I was driving and coolant was pooring from the side of the engine but the signs were there previously, if I had just known where to look.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Something I learned because I actually had 2 separate leaks. I had the same radiator end cap leak as you, found using pressure tester. It took me 120K miles for me to get there, so no complaints.
The
It was a mystery for awhile where I noticed my coolant kept getting low over time, where I ended up having a lower intake manifold gasket leak as well. I was not able to find this leak using the pressure tester. My thought on this, is that while pressure testing the engine is cold and therefore things weren't expanded and therefore no leak but as the engine warmed up, then things expanded and then that's when it would leak.

Just something to keep your eye on, so you can learn from my experience. I eventually found my lower intake manifold gasket leak when one day I was driving and coolant was pooring from the side of the engine but the signs were there previously, if I had just known where to look.

Outs never ending in a Jeep. Keeps me entertained I guess. Thanks for all the input!

Quick Reply: Coolant puddle