Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Correct way to Paint Door Hinges

Old 03-21-2013, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct way to Paint Door Hinges

Hi, I have a 2008 Rubicon JK. The drivers door hinges are bubbled up a little and have been for a while.

The dealer agreed to repaint them, but here is the rub. The Dealership does not do body work. They said they will have a small body shop across the street do it. So I go over there to check the place out. Not very impressive, two guys with a little work going on. Not much equipment in sight. Still you never know they could be true artist?
When I asked one of the guys how he would paint the hinges he said he would leave them on the jeep and paint them while on the jeep.

I am not a body person, but how can you get a good sanding and painting on the edges? Looks like it would be a half a-- job. Not to mention matching up the hinge paint with the rest of the black jeep.

I have a couple of months to decide because I ask the dealer to wait for the weather to break.

What do you guys think.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same problem on my 09. Dealer agreed to fix under warranty. When I picked it up, they looked almost worse than when I brought it to them. They sub contract their paint jobs as well to some local shop. I was embarased for them when I saw the result. I ended up bedlining each doors hinges one at a time. It turned out pretty well. If they continue to bubble or start to wear, I will be purchasing the hinge covers from Quadratec. The covers end up being way cheaper than replacing the hinges with new ones.

If you do decide to have them redo your hinges, I pray that they have a good bodyshop doing them. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I worked at a body shop while in college and not taking the hinges off is a half ass job. The problem is that there is no paint between the hinge and the door. My 2012 has rust under there already and I live in S Carolina. Water collects in there from rain and washes.

Side note: I found the rust when I took the hinges off to get into the Jeep after locking both sets of keys inside.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Tape them off, and apply bedliner...
Old 03-21-2013, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Or take them off and bedline them

there is at least one thread on this, looks like the best option.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the feed back guys.

I am not going to let them do it if they send it to that body shop.

I am going to talk to other bodyshops and then go back and talk to the dealership.

Last resort, I will do them myself.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wesplains
Thanks for the feed back guys.

I am not going to let them do it if they send it to that body shop.

I am going to talk to other bodyshops and then go back and talk to the dealership.

Last resort, I will do them myself.
The proper way is to remove the hinges from the door, and bead blast them. If they are in real bad shape they should be replaced. Find a body shop that will do it this way.

Quick Reply: Correct way to Paint Door Hinges